Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: LIVE 2018 WWE PPV Discussion Thread

Super Moderator
    I just find that there are large sections in the hour that there's nothing happening. A few big, fun, spots but by and large a lot of down time. And only having two or three women in the ring at a time when there were half a dozen or more legal annoyed me.

Having the match in the middle of the card meant that a guy like Seth worked for quite a stretch, and then had to do a tag match on his own because of Jordan's injury. That tag match dragged so badly.

Also, yay for Adam Cole's pop but for the love of god he took that bump the night before that never should have been cleared in the first place and was clearly in pain -- he threw a drop kick when he first came in that just looked painful -- why not toss someone else in?

That chair spot still makes me wince.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    It definitely was not clear though. My buddies all thought it was setting up Asuka vs. Rousey because of the hand slap.
    That's where my mind went immediately too. The only person Ronda really interacted with other than Steph was Asuka.

I wrote it kind of jokingly in Bearly as a reference, but I really think they struggled to do two Rumble matches that were the same length justice last night. They needed to differentiate the pair of them and, to be honest, they didn't do enough of it to make the second one interesting enough to hold the attention.

And I think that's kind of the problem with Rumbles recently - they're not different enough to make them hold up against each other. They've got their tropes and they're damn well going to stick with them, booking be damned, It's alright when it's one on a show, and certainly one a year. But two on a show separated by only about half an hour just showed it up as a failing, in my opinion.

They needed to do one as a kind of fun, quick (feeling) Rumble - a sort of updated 2002 one - and one as more of a storytelling Rumble - a 2009 or 2010. Given all the returns in the women's match I'd have done the former with that and then the latter with the men's, and also swapped their positions on the card. I think outside of that they got most of the stuff last night right.

Super Moderator
    I'd be okay with Asuka and Rousey with Asuka trading in her title shot. Only because Nia vs Alexa has been teased and would mean something, Charlotte could work with any of the women on SmackDown, really, and an undefeated Asuka vs a debuting Ronda Rousey would mean something.

That chair spot still makes me wince.
    No idea why they did it or how they got it cleared or anything. Somebody in the back forgot that this is a work.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    So far it seems Mysterio was a one-night thing, but it was great to see him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyking View Post
    A shame if it was. He's in tremendous shape and could be a great asset for anywhere in WWE. Use him as a part time guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    If I was the WWE, I would sign Rey and immediately put the Cruiserweight title on him. There is a vacuum since Enzo was fired. Then work things out with Neville. Rey and Neville could really put on some classics and possibly save the division.

This would be the only way to go. Rey brings credibility to the title that it just hasn't had outside of Neville. No one knows who the other cruiserweights are, they buried Kalisto for Enzo tried to make Enzo a star, but at the end it just wasn't working. You give Rey the title, he has it on Raw and defends it on 205 Live, more people would tune in. You can even have him work with the luchadors on 205 Live, and team with Sin Cara in Raw matches (I don't think Sin Cara is still a cruiserweight, is he?) and just build the whole thing around him and Neville having a great WrestleMania match. I don't even think Neville should get the title, I honestly think Neville should be moved up and on to Smackdown. But it could bring interest.

But yeah, Rey looks the best I've seen him, in about 10 years at least. I haven't seen Rey look this good in a long time. I wonder, I know his son is a 19 year old college student now, but he's actually 6'0" tall. I wonder if we'll see him in a ring anyday, but obviously not a cruiserweight.

The Brain
    There is NO WAY that Mysterio wants to or should be working a full touring schedule again, so making him CW champion is probably completely off the table even if they do sign him. That schedule is the thing that tore up his body so bad he looked like he was going to have to retire permanently in 2012. He's been doing good working about 40 matches a year and avoiding constant travel, and that's the absolute max that I think he should take on at his level of wear and tear, whether he signs back up with WWE or not. If he's careful I think he can have great matches for another 5 years easy, if not he's not he could end up retiring in six months.

I think he takes care of his body better than he did, heard about treatments he's done for his knees and other things and to be in that shape only helps. less weight to carry around. I don't think full time is an option and he warrants respect to call his shot but I could see a mini run if he wanted it. He can literally help any brand for a few months at a time. Throw him on a takeover special, need him to main event a show, do that.

The Brain
    Oh sure, I'd be fine to see him on some kind of 00s HBK deal, where he's around a good chunk of the year mixing it up with everyone but also has long periods to rest.

I'm not sure how I feel about Rey returning full time. Don't get me wrong, it was more pleasant seeing him last night than in 2014, and oh yes he was he great shape, but again that's another (possible) part timer taking up space that a current roster member could be using. They have stars that can improve their relationship with the Mexican fanbase. The lucha trio on 205 Live is an interesting way to go (only if they are allowed to take the stabilisers off), and Almas looked like a squillion bucks on Saturday night. I think with Vega as his manager on Raw or Smackdown, he would actually do well on the main roster, maybe better than Del Rio due to Almas' superb ring work.

Time will tell. It was nice to see Rey again and be accepted so fondly, but over the last week, I've had more than enough nostalgia in WWE for a long time. They've got Nakamura and Asuka in prime positions. That's a great start, but keep improving on that.

I mean you could use Rey to complement the young guys that you're trying to get over. No one saying he should be treated like Brock and just run thru people. I don't see many downsides with using Rey if WWE was able to.

imagine Rey coming in and losing a match to Gran Metalik. That would raise Metalik's stock right away.

People have this idea that part timers take spots away from people that deserve to have the spot when that's rarely the case. They take the spot cause they are popular enough to bring back and trusted. There's not alot of over acts in 205 live, if you can use a legend to give characters and some credibility to these young guys, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-29-2018 at 03:49 PM.

The Greatest of All Time LWO4Life's Avatar
    I don't think Rey should go fully full time, but I think he can be used as a springboard to boost 205 Live. If he'd want, working with Kalisto, Gran Metalik, Lince Dorado, Sin Cara would help all of them. What was one of the biggest complaints about Kalisto when WWE was trying to push him? It was that he was a cheap Rey Mysterio knock off. Mysterio actually being on camera gives Kalisto and the other luchadors that rub, to finally break off on their own and the fans can finally put Mysterio to bed. That's my thinking. Hell, having one of them turn heel on Rey would be amazing as well.