Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 120 of 211

Thread: LIVE 2018 WWE PPV Discussion Thread

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    676
    Please no Santina. I couldn't stand that storyline in 2009.

  2. #82
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I'm about 70% sure on Ellsworth entering only to be immediately eliminated.

  3. #83
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    They do not want to take that record away from Santino.

    Also, why waste a spot on Ellsworth? he wouldn't get cheered for a return.

  4. #84
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    I imagine if he was dropped out in 5 seconds it'd get a cheer.



    @lopprimetime

  5. #85
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    Well I don't want Rousey near a single one of the women who appear every week on TV. None of them gain anything by even being in a ring with her in a non-physical way, and there isn't a situation where the product as a whole wins out - either Rousey goes over and makes every woman on the roster look like shit, or the opponent goes over and is a level above every other woman on the roster making them look like shit. Either way, everyone not in that match looks like shit.

    So, isolate Rousey, line her up with Steph, and let them have like 10 minutes of Mania where Steph gets her arm broke the fuck up in record time. Fuck it, I don't care, I won't watch it because I don't care about Rousey turning up, and don't care about any match she could be in. It means fuck all to me. Fuck Ronda Rousey, tell her to go back to licking her wounds from her failed MMA return and failed film career. Invest money and time in who you've actually got on the roster, working week in week out. Give them the Mania spots.
    You are being incredibly short-sighted.

    There's a like half a dozen women on the roster who suck, mean nothing and job routinely. The idea that losing to Rousey would harm then in any way is ridiculous, especially in a company that has done a myriad of celebrity matches with their main event males and often jobbed them in implausible scenarios, or to celebrities with no athletic background whatsoever. And you're worried about protecting jobber women? Please. That's not even mentioning some of those Raw guest hosts who came, promoted their shit on WWE, and then went on talk shows and trashed wrestling (the actor from Will and Grace/3 Stooges) comes to mind.

    And Rousey isn't 'coming back to lick her wounds'. She's coming after the WWE, specifically (HHH and Steph) cultivated her to come for years to come and because she is genuinely a wrestling fan who wants to do this. This is something she had always wanted to do for years and more or less said she would do a WWE match/moment at some point. Recall that Rousey first appeared at WM 31 *before* she ever lost and when she was on top of the world. That was something she specifically requested from Dana White, because she is actually a wrestling fan, even he did not actually want her appearing on wrestling shows back then. She was called Rowdy Roonda Rousey for a reason (she was a Pipper fan growing up), and she learned how to promote her MMA fights and do promos by watching wrestling, and in fact she struck up a friendship with Pipper, did his podcast, and asked him for his blessings. There are also several higher ups who have eagerly been trying to get Rousey to come, not just HHH and Stephanie, but Vince and Heyman (who actually wants to manage her) as well. Might there be a reason for that?

    (Slight note, the WWE tried to get Connor to do a Mania, and HHH personally went to meet him at after an MMA fight, to hash out the deal. Connor and the WWE were so apart on money that the deal fell through, and this was 2 years ago, before Connor made 100M~ from a single fight. Even though Connor grew up watching guys like Ric Flair and essentially learning from his promo style and character, he does not deign to lower himself to wrestling for any reason other than lots of money) Rousey, in contrast, is probably doing this at a discount price for the WWE, and in violation of her retirement (she refused to do any other press/appearences, because she was mentally shattered after her second loss with one or two exceptions, she made an exception for wrestling, because again, she actually likes wrestling and *wants* to do this)

    It's almost like you would have complained about Mr T at Wrestlemania 1 and Mike Tyson in 1998, if you were active back then, becuase they're just 'celebrities', even though those were two of the most important moments in WWE history from a business perspective.

    Sometimes wrestling fans can be their own worst enemy. You're basically rehashing CM Punk's arguments, and utterly failing to appreciate the significance of such a program for wrestling or for the women's division. It would at the bare minimum, if done correctly, be a WM moment highlight reel you could play for years, draw some attention from mainstream press and Rousey's unique female audience, and help to make a star more over. There is literally zero downside. This is again, one of the most important figures in female sports of the last year years - unlike any of the other ridicuolous people they've jobbed their stars to (anyone remember when Snooki won a WM match? I do.) So I reiterate again, my firm objection to a Steph/Rousey match, and your idea of how to do this. If all of this hasn't changed your mind, I have no idea how to reach you.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-12-2018 at 10:17 AM.

  6. #86
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    This is boring, because you're being completely blind to what I've actually said and not taking it into account apart from to sideswipe it out of the way as a concern without giving it a proper thought. And you've done that throughout your arguments on the matter, which make them boring too.

    I appreciate that Rousey brings a 'unique female audience' to the product - potentially - but you're thinking about it solely from a business persepctive. From a business perspective exclusively, having Rousey on there makes sense, and I understand that. But that's the argument you keep going back to to support your case of having Rousey appear. You're not accounting at all for the impact it would have on the roster as it stands.

    You're basically completely ignoring the point that I'm making - elevating Rousey, who has maybe done some wrestling training but otherwise nothing else in a ring, above all the female talent on the roster, whether Lana, Carmella, Naomi, or Alexa Bliss, just makes them worse than someone else who isn't even in the company long-term (as far as we know). And then pushing one select female above that level, whether Asuka, Charlotte or someone else, puts them on a level above that again. How can you have any question in future matches for that person when they've just been positioned as above the entire roster? And how long does the rub last? Within about two weeks WWE pretty much stopped talking about Reigns beating Taker at Mania. We're now nine months removed from that and the bulk of crowds forgot it long ago. It doesn't 'solidify' anybody's position on the roster, because at some point the shine is going to rub off - either naturally or because WWE wants it to - and it's not a transferrable thing.

    So, again - having Rousey for a one off match where she squares up with one woman from the roster and otherwise positioned above everyone else there is harmful, longer term, to the division. If - and I think it's a big if - she is going to be around for years in the future, then I'm on board. But a one-off match - no way.

    (Mr T on WM 1 and 2 when they were trying to establish exactly what they were about was fine. Tyson as a special enforcer and not a competitor at WMXIV was fine. Snooki was not fine.)

  7. #87
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    What about the Mayweather/Big Show match? The WWE elevated Mayweather over everyone else by "beating Big Show".

    Show/Akebono sumo match?

    Kevin Federline beat Cena?

    Stephen Amell beating Stardust, and now he went to ROH and tagged with Cody (and others) and beat a Frankie Kazarian, Christopher Daniels (and others).

    Lawrence Taylor Beat Bam Bam Bigelow in the MAIN EVENT of WM11

    Maria Menounos tagged with Kelly Kelly and beat Beth phoenix and Eve Torres

    Snookie was in a match and won

    Dennis Rodman and Karl Malone where Malone bear Hulk Hogan!!!

    So did Jay Leno!!!

    Gasp David Arquette won the WCW Title!!!

    Master P had a stable

    Kevin Greene beat Mongo McMichael


    Celebrities beating established wrestlers has been done for years, and no harm was done to any wrestler. So your argument that the WWE would put Rousey above established talent is null and void. Rousey at least has a legit background which would make her win more believable.
    Last edited by Powder; 01-12-2018 at 11:01 AM.

  8. #88
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    If you don't think something should be done, the amount of times it happens is irrelevant. You can pinch off 100 turds, but at the end of the day what you've got is still a turd.



    @lopprimetime

  9. #89
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    389 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    952
    Kevin Federline beat Cena?
    K-Fed for the Hall of Fame!! That whole storyline was a guilty pleasure.

  10. #90
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    There is a difference between being a one off celeb appearance and being a mainstay of the company for a few years. I'm for the idea of debuting new talent strong, but if you do it in a way that takes away from others, it can hurt in the long run. the preception of Rousey punking out Charlotte or whoever in a five min match, then disapparing for months is a bad look, especially when you did similar things with Brock. Its lazy and only helps if you have someone else booked as strong to set up a match people want to see.

    Tricky situation really.

  11. #91
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Ignoring WCW being a dumpster for making dumpster fire decisions...

    Show losing as a midcarder to Mayweather via a bunch of chair shots and brass knuckles - protected loss, not putting Mayweather over the whole division.

    Show losing as a midcarder to a sumo wrestler in a sumo wrestling match - to be expected, isn't it? Not putting Akebono over the whole division.

    Federline beat Cena after Umaga had wrecked him. Even if Cena was champ at the time, it was a protected loss and clearly shown to be as such.

    Taylor over Bigelow - shouldn't have happened for the same reasons I'm stating against Rousey.

    Snooki won via basically everyone else doing the work in the match itself. And it should never have happened anyway.

    See the same as above for Menunos. Plus, with the entire Divas division basically treated like shit then it hardly mattered.

    WWE have spent, what, 2 years I think building up its female wrestlers so that people at home take their matches seriously. And now, assuming it happens, Rousey is going to come in for the Rumble and beat them all (even if that's not what will actually happen) and then dominate a division of women we've been taught as fans to believe are as good as any others, the best female wrestlers in the world even.

    It's bad for that whole roster if it happens, and as Prime says just because you can name other situations where it has happened doesn't make those right and this right.

    And again, I'm not saying it for business reasons. I'm saying it solely based on the division itself.

  12. #92
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Lazyking gets it.

  13. #93
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Unfortunately the Rousey effect is already being felt. They're already ruining the NXT women's division with pushing "young up and comer" 38-year-old Shayna Baszler. So Rousey winning the Rumble (if she's in it) is probably going to happen.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-12-2018 at 01:50 PM.

  14. #94
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    This is boring, because you're being completely blind to what I've actually said and not taking it into account apart from to sideswipe it out of the way as a concern without giving it a proper thought. And you've done that throughout your arguments on the matter, which make them boring too.

    I appreciate that Rousey brings a 'unique female audience' to the product - potentially - but you're thinking about it solely from a business persepctive. From a business perspective exclusively, having Rousey on there makes sense, and I understand that. But that's the argument you keep going back to to support your case of having Rousey appear. You're not accounting at all for the impact it would have on the roster as it stands.

    You're basically completely ignoring the point that I'm making - elevating Rousey, who has maybe done some wrestling training but otherwise nothing else in a ring, above all the female talent on the roster, whether Lana, Carmella, Naomi, or Alexa Bliss, just makes them worse than someone else who isn't even in the company long-term (as far as we know). And then pushing one select female above that level, whether Asuka, Charlotte or someone else, puts them on a level above that again.
    So, again - having Rousey for a one off match where she squares up with one woman from the roster and otherwise positioned above everyone else there is harmful, longer term, to the division. If - and I think it's a big if - she is going to be around for years in the future, then I'm on board. But a one-off match - no way.
    Pushing one star above all the others in that division is basically the last 60 years of the WWF. How would that be harmful if that time-tested trope was applied to the women's division? Roman routinely runs rough-shot over everyone, as did Cena before him, as did Austin before him, as did Hogan in the 80's, as did Backlund before then, as did Bruno before then. Vince and his family have literally applied that model for their entire history. Either they have someone in that role, or they are constantly searching for someone in that role. What is so peculiar or harmful about applying that same model to the female division? Again, at the end of the day, a few jobber women lose - yet again. Big deal. Feeding jobbers to establish a nascent-debuted monster who then puts over the top star of the division is an age old trope in wrestling.

    And you are failing to appreciate how badly it would make the active women's division look, if at Mania, when the big MMA star comes, she choses part-timer Stephanie over all the regular active women. As if to suggest that only Stephanie is worthy of this big time match with a legit star. It would make them all look third-rate, and send the message to the audience (which the WWE has often sent in the past) that Stephanie is the real star of the show.

    How can you have any question in future matches for that person when they've just been positioned as above the entire roster? And how long does the rub last? Within about two weeks WWE pretty much stopped talking about Reigns beating Taker at Mania. We're now nine months removed from that and the bulk of crowds forgot it long ago. It doesn't 'solidify' anybody's position on the roster, because at some point the shine is going to rub off - either naturally or because WWE wants it to - and it's not a transferrable thing.
    What kind of question is this? Are you now placing skepticism on the very concept of rubs now, to advance your argument? How long did the rub of Brock beating Taker last? Or Hogan beating Andre? Or Cena beating all the people he beat in high profile matches. Same goes for Austin, Bret, Shawn, etc. A rub's a rub. Beating monsters, streaks, big time stars in big time matches, is again, an old time trope, that the WWE (and every wrestling company) has employed forever. Rousey is merely the female expression of that trope.

  15. #95
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    Seems to me the truth is actually somewhere between your two positions. And I'm not just saying that to keep the peace.

    Anyway, for reasons that have never been clear to me, Paddy Power take bets on the Royal Rumble. Here are some of the more obvious, and some of the more eccentric, bets you can place. They're still making Nakamura the favourite though that's probably just about the internet buzz more than anything concrete.

    Shinsuke Nakamura 7/5
    Roman Reigns 9/4
    Dolph Ziggler 4/1
    John Cena 4/1
    Braun Strowman 5/1
    Finn Balor 7/1
    Randy Orton 10/1
    Daniel Bryan 10/1
    Baron Corbin 10/1
    Seth Rollins 16/1
    AJ Styles 16/1
    Sami Zayn 18/1
    Kevin Owens 18/1
    Batista 20/1
    Bobby Roode 20/1
    Jinder Mahal 25/1
    Bray Wyatt 25/1
    Samoa Joe 25/1
    Rusev 25/1
    Matt Hardy 33/1
    Chris Jericho 33/1
    Jason Jordan 33/1
    Jeff Hardy 33/1
    Brock Lesnar 33/1
    The Miz 35/1
    Big E 35/1
    Goldberg 40/1
    Kenny Omega 40/1
    Undertaker 40/1
    Cesaro 40/1
    Kurt Angle 50/1
    Dean Ambrose 50/1
    Triple H 50/1
    The Rock 50/1
    CM Punk 66/1
    Shane McMahon 66/1
    Hideo Itami 80/1
    Shawn Michaels 80/1
    Neville 80/1
    Kane 80/1
    Conor McGregor 100/1
    Big Show 100/1
    Stone Cold Steve Austin 150/1
    Kevin Nash 200/1
    Hulk Hogan 200/1
    Jerry Lawler 200/1
    Shaquille O'Neal 200/1
    Alberto Del Rio 200/1
    Vin Diesel 250/1
    Floyd Mayweather 400/1
    Donald Trump 750/1
    Last edited by Prime Time; 01-16-2018 at 11:04 AM.



    @lopprimetime

  16. #96
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    How is Trump even on the list for odds?

    With all of the heat he has, and then this past week with the Shithole countries, and possible racist remarks, adding more fuel to the fire, if he even thought of doing a guest spot on the WWE now would kill him.

    The best time for Trump to have made an appearance with the WWE in the recent past, was right after he got elected.

  17. #97
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    Because they want people to put money on him for a joke, and then lose it would be my guess. They are bookies, at the end of the day.

    Obama was also on the list at 1000/1 but I managed to cut him off. That's even weirder in many ways.



    @lopprimetime

  18. #98
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    How is Trump even on the list for odds?

    With all of the heat he has, and then this past week with the Shithole countries, and possible racist remarks, adding more fuel to the fire, if he even thought of doing a guest spot on the WWE now would kill him.

    The best time for Trump to have made an appearance with the WWE in the recent past, was right after he got elected.
    The WWE consciously made an effort not to reference Trump or affiliate themselves with him in any during 2015 and 2016 because they - correctly - surmised that their substantial Hispanic would be incensed. So that wasn't an oversight, as much as a deliberate decision. That's not to say that Trump would even lower himself to the level of wrestling anymore; it's very likely his political staff/handlers would strongly advise against him doing something so low brow as wrestling, despite his past association with it. But yeah, funny isn't it, that this was the one time they had a really really really important person who they had a relationship with that they could try to call in favours with and get appearances and coverage, but that guy turns out to be so toxic, that they think it's a liability to risk it. They'll probably never have this sort of a chance again: have a president Vince is personally 'friends' with.

  19. #99
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    I guess the next time that the WWE will have the opportunity will be in November or December 2020 after Trump loses the re-election campaign and is a Lame Duck President. Then he can basically do what ever he wants. So the WWE should get him to guest spot then. They will never, ever have another chance to have a sitting President on their programming.

  20. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    2
    Best Case Scenario:
    1. Finn Balor
    Gist: Comes in as #1/#2 entrant and with the aid of Balor Club plows through the roster.
    Mark out moment (MOM): Adam Cole enters the rumble and they both do a too sweet and face Seth and Roman
    Outcome: Transfers to SD and we get AJ vs Balor for WWE title and leadership of the club

    2. Seth Rollins
    Gist: Enters ~ #20, curb stomps 10 guys in a row
    MOM: Roman vs Seth as the last two guys left, after good back and forth Seth eliminates Roman
    Outcome: Transfers to SD and we get AJ vs Rollins

    3. Shinsuke Nakamura
    Gist: #30 and that music hits
    MOM: Double Kinshasa to Cena and Roman!
    Outcome: AJ vs Nakamura

    4. Braun Strowman
    Gist: #30 after Brock pins Kane
    MOM: Eliminates everyone!
    Outcome: Brock vs Braun No Holds Barred, Braun wins this time!

    Honorable mentions

    1. Sami Zayn
    Gist: Comes out at #3
    MOM: Betrays Kevin Owens
    Outcome: This 2 on 1 handicap is BS, give me a triple threat match with AJ styles
    Read more at http://www.lordsofpain.net/columns/m...KQkDeRO6cle.99

  21. #101
    Samuel Plan
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    654
    Well you can sign me up for number two right now! Brilliant, simple idea leading to a genuine dream match that'll tear the house down. And Rollins wins the Rumble; so, ya know.
    101 WWE Matches To See Before You Die: The Book is now available to buy on Amazon UK, Amazon US and Amazon Europe! Just search for "101 WWE Matches" and it'll pop up!

    ~ Samuel Plan

  22. #102
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    389 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    952
    Id prefer Rikishi to return and The Usos and Rikishi to run riot, destroying all the 3 team pretenders like the Shield, New Day, Club etc... Then as the final three they dance, before Rikishi suddenly attacks both his sons and throws them out.

    Rikishi then fights Brock at Mania where HHH finally returns the favour and attempts to murder Brock, giving Rikishi the title.

  23. #103
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I'm still thinking Zayn wins. I don't even know why, it's a real gut feeling kind of thing.

  24. #104
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    The Main page is reporting that Kacy Catanzaro has reported to the performance center. She will begin her training, but I can see her learning how to take a bump this week+ so that she can be a surprise entrant in the Rumble. She has name recognition, and would be a surprise. Then in a few months, she makes her NXT debut.

  25. #105
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,799
    You're reaching. Most wrestling fans don't even know who she is.

  26. #106
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    Yeah, I didn't recognize the name.

    A cursory Google search makes her seem like someone who is just really fun. She's obviously athletic. So if she can pick up the wrestling part, she seems to have the personality to be a really good babyface.

  27. #107
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    She is fun, but also very small, like Alexa Bliss height, but a much smaller frame. She was a college gymnast and then an American Ninja Warrior competitor. She is strong and athletic, but does not have any real size. She would have to put on about 20 pounds of muscle to at least compete in my opinion.

  28. #108
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I have no fucking clue who Katy Caterino is. What's Ninja Warrior?

  29. #109
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,932
    Ninja Warrior is basically a cross fit obstacle course running competition.

    EDIT: If the WWE wanted some more American Ninja Women, then Meagan Martin and Jessie Graff would be better choices. They are both bigger and stronger.

    Last edited by Powder; 01-18-2018 at 03:43 PM.

  30. #110
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    389 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    952
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I have no fucking clue who Katy Caterino is. What's Ninja Warrior?
    Chris Kamara commentates on the U.K. version. That’s how good it is.

  31. #111
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Unfortunately the Rousey effect is already being felt. They're already ruining the NXT women's division with pushing "young up and comer" 38-year-old Shayna Baszler. So Rousey winning the Rumble (if she's in it) is probably going to happen.
    I'm sorry, I just have to back up and do a double take at this. I know not everyone likes wrestling influenced by MMA, but the idea that Shayna Baszler is ruining a division is so bizarre to me. Hey, will Baszler be in the Rumble? I'd actually be very happy to see her win it, now that I think of it.

  32. #112
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    407
    - The Rousey discussion is crazy to me. If she's coming in, they'll book her against a heel - not Charlotte (unless she turns heel between now and then) - and the heel should get their comeuppance and ass beat no matter who it is. I believe Steph/Rousey is the likely feud they'll run with and when that happens and Rousey destroys her, it won't "bury" the division or make it seem like Steph is "above" the rest of the roster. It will be built around some outlandish McMahonish storyline - not Rousey coming in and challenging "the best of the best" and choosing Stephanie. And if it isn't Steph, and they do go with Alexa Bliss, for example, its still not a big deal for Bliss to do the job because Bliss, who I adore, has consistently been made to look "beatable" and Rousey has the legit cred to do it. In that sense, Bliss = Miz and Miz has had plenty of egg on his face over the years and it didn't hurt him or the rest of the male division.

    - Speaking of burials, though, man, if somehow they go with Finn Balor winning and then challenging AJ? That would be the burial we should be talking about. I'm just not sure any storyline they could come up with would help people overlook the fact that he'd be running away from Brock Lesnar like a coward and actively not challenging for the title he never lost. I mean, you can say, "Well, they'll turn him heel and have him go after AJ because he already proved he could beat AJ and he just cares about titles," but that doesn't get him heel heat, it makes him look like even he knows he's not a real threat. Like, put The Miz in that position, and I think they'd at least book him to try using his brains and his Miztourage to help him win (like how Bray Wyatt tried to take out Brock a few years ago). Balor winning and jumping to SD? Bad, bad idea long-term.
    You wanted the best, you got this instead -

    http://kwangtheblog.blogspot.com

    My one-stop blog spot for full reviews of wrestling pay-per-views, TV supercards, and Network Specials.

  33. #113
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Quote Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
    Chris Kamara commentates on the U.K. version. That’s how good it is.
    Oh is it that thing he did with Ben Shepard? Like It's A Knockout for gym bunnies.

  34. #114
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    - Speaking of burials, though, man, if somehow they go with Finn Balor winning and then challenging AJ? That would be the burial we should be talking about. I'm just not sure any storyline they could come up with would help people overlook the fact that he'd be running away from Brock Lesnar like a coward and actively not challenging for the title he never lost. I mean, you can say, "Well, they'll turn him heel and have him go after AJ because he already proved he could beat AJ and he just cares about titles," but that doesn't get him heel heat, it makes him look like even he knows he's not a real threat. Like, put The Miz in that position, and I think they'd at least book him to try using his brains and his Miztourage to help him win (like how Bray Wyatt tried to take out Brock a few years ago). Balor winning and jumping to SD? Bad, bad idea long-term.
    Do they still do the shtick where the Rumble winner has a set amount of time to decide which champ he faces? They could cook something up in that time, like Finn is originally set on Lesnar but some Bullet Club drama gets stirred up and he changes gears. I could see it working if they put the time into it.

  35. #115
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    - The Rousey discussion is crazy to me. If she's coming in, they'll book her against a heel - not Charlotte (unless she turns heel between now and then) - and the heel should get their comeuppance and ass beat no matter who it is. I believe Steph/Rousey is the likely feud they'll run with and when that happens and Rousey destroys her, it won't "bury" the division or make it seem like Steph is "above" the rest of the roster. It will be built around some outlandish McMahonish storyline - not Rousey coming in and challenging "the best of the best" and choosing Stephanie. And if it isn't Steph, and they do go with Alexa Bliss, for example, its still not a big deal for Bliss to do the job because Bliss, who I adore, has consistently been made to look "beatable" and Rousey has the legit cred to do it. In that sense, Bliss = Miz and Miz has had plenty of egg on his face over the years and it didn't hurt him or the rest of the male division.
    I'm sorry but the Steph idea is still completely ridiculous. This is the biggest potential match the women's division is going to be getting for some time to come, purely because of Rousey. It's not like there's a line up of other prominent female athletes and celebrities waiting to come in for their Mania match. This is it. There isn't going to be anyone else coming in next year. And so when it happens, why blow it on Stephanie? That sends the message that the active female performers are nobodies, and when the real outside stars/athletes come, they go after the 'real' star, Stephanie. This is the equivalent of if they had managed to get Tyson in the late 90's for a match, and they ended up blowing it on a match with Shane. Having Rousey face someone like Asuka sends the messages (in kayfabe, and in real life), that when outside premier stars/athletes come in, they care enough to fight for our belts, against our champions. This opportunity cannot be wasted. If this ends up happening, this is such a fortuitous thing, when's the last time, again, a legit athlete of Rousey's caliber has been willing to do wrestling? Again, she's like the female Tyson, the top star in her combat sport.

    If Rousey were some actress or non-athlete, or non-fighter, okay then Steph sort of makes sense. But she was literally, until not that long ago, was the most dominant female athlete in her line. Having her go 'with the best of the best' therefore makes perfect sense.

    Aside from that, Rousey is capable of heeling it up, and has often promoted her blockbuster fights as a heel. Her favourite wrestler growing up was Piper. She likes wrestling, and she would probably be willing to job - if she is, she should be built up to be fed to whoever the champion is.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-19-2018 at 08:42 AM.

  36. #116
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    So here's something fun - Paddy Power have just cut the odds on Daniel Bryan from a serious outsider to 5/1 third favourite, apparently.

    I'm not sure how much money it takes to shift a market like this, but he was out there with the Curt Hawkins's and Apollo Crews' of this world before today.

  37. #117
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    So Bryan is now 4/1 with Paddy Power - joint third favourite with Dolph Ziggler, tucked in behind Roman Reigns (5/2) and Nakamura (Evens).

    Like I said, I don't know how much money is in this kind of market, and therefore what it takes to shift someone to the degree that Bryan has moved up. But to put it into perspective he's considered a better shot than John Cena (9.2), Braun Strowman (11/2), Finn Balor (7/1), Randy Orton (10/1), Baron Corbin (10/1), and Seth Rollins (16/1).

    For someone who all signs suggest he's never going to wrestle (for WWE) again, somebody out there clearly believe he has a damn good shot of winning this.

  38. #118
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    There's probably just a few speculative tenners in a market like this, to be honest.



    @lopprimetime

  39. #119
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Mmm.

    I just found an article that suggested he was attracting 74% of all betting on the Royal Rumble match itself. In it was a quote from Odds Checker:

    Oddschecker spokesperson George Elek said: “We’ve seen a lot of movement in Royal Rumble market with odds changing on some surprise movers and shakers within the WWE roster.

    “Fan favourite Daniel Bryan has seen a plethora of attention, despite apparently not being medically clear to compete.

    “There may be something in this story, however, with our sources claiming that the storyline between Bryan and Shane O Mac coming to fruition and resulting in a fairy-tale return win, for the constantly over superstar."
    I don't know, it's interesting. The Rumble is, presumably, a place where someone like Bryan could take it slow and wrestle fairly safely without a serious bump needing to be taken. But what about after that?

    To be honest, if that all ends up being work for Bryan vs Shane, count me out. But if we get Bryan back full time and come off this win in Philly with a huge shocker for Mania - that's interesting.

  40. #120
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,305
    It's an intriguing proposition, but it's a very delicate story to try and tell afterwards. The potential to do it badly is huge.



    @lopprimetime

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •