Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 80 of 211

Thread: LIVE 2018 WWE PPV Discussion Thread

  1. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    There's really not that much upside. Maybe if it was three years ago, but most people don't give a shit about her anymore. Her star has burned out. She was a fad.

    Go after Cyborg. That dude would kick all the ladies' asses

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    1,168
    Quote Originally Posted by Powder View Post
    That is my point exactly. The only way Rousey should win, is if she is committed to the WWE. Do we know if she has been training in professional wrestling? Has she been in the performance center learning how to be a wrestler?
    Yes she has.

    I think she wins the Rumble but I don't think she wins the title at Mania. She'll be well received if/when she turns up regardless. It's WWE fans. Not MMA fans. Completely different mindset. I have no problem with her winning the Rumble and going on to Mania to face Charlotte or Asuka if they go that way. It'll put butts on seats and eyes on TV and it'll help elevate whoever defeats her regardless of the fact she's never been in a WWE ring before.

  3. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    There's really not that much upside. Maybe if it was three years ago, but most people don't give a shit about her anymore. Her star has burned out. She was a fad.

    Go after Cyborg. That dude would kick all the ladies' asses
    You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Cyborg may be a bigger thing now than Ronda Rousey in the world of MMA, purely by virtue of the fact that she is active and Ronda isn't, and even then it's doubtful, but outside of MMA, Rousey is 100x the star that Cyborg is. Ronda was literally the biggest star in combat sports for a while, and she was known to have a massive audience of casual women who didn't care about MMA per se, but would tune in specifically for Rousey, which is why she did so many massive buyrates. Rousey would even hit 1M+ buyrates against a no-name opponent like Nunes, with Rousey refusing to promote the fight, on New Year's weekend of all times. That's how much of a massive star she is.

    Cyborg has never even done like half the buyrates Rousey has. And Rousey has an immense casual/mainstream recognition, whereas Cyborg has virtually none. This is no contest.

    If Rousey ever did another fight, she would probably blow everyone else out of the water except for Connor. Wins and loses in MMA do not matter that much nor do they kill drawing power so quickly.

  4. #44
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I don't see the upside, long-term, to WWE having Rousey show up once/twice on pay per view. You spike the Mania buyrate - so what? Mania always buys well, and has only been around 1.2m buys twice in history, even with returns from The Rock and Taker as an attraction. And when The Rock came back he was 100% a bigger star than Rousey is or ever has been. In the age of the Network, I strongly doubt they're going to get significantly more monthly subscribers on the back of a one off Rousey match.

    The only gain - the only gain - is if whoever faces her goes over. And neither Asuka or Charlotte, the two rumoured opponents, need that on their list, in my opinion. They're both fine. If we were talking about someone who could use some reestablishing, having Becky Lynch defeat Rousey would be the choice.

    That's all assuming that Rousey isn't coming in to work regularly, with the WWE schedule. If she's going to Batista it, I'm far more on board.

  5. #45
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,798
    if this was the buyrate era, I could see the value of Rousey coming in once every month .but its not and no one on the roster currently signifincantly moves the needle so why would I think that Ronda will able to? Don't get me wrong, I'm sure Rousey will create some buzz but Mania is still gonna do well regardless, the network subscriber number is not gonna go over 2 mil because of it.. So you're counting on buzz to make new fans and hope Rousey helps at the live gate.

    We've all see the numbers recently and its clear that Brock doesn't make that big of a difference (house shows he's on rarely spike) so why would Rousey?
    Last edited by Lazyking; 01-03-2018 at 08:20 AM.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    ^ That's exactly it. I don't think WWE needs Rousey, and definitely doesn't need her to be a one off.

    If you present Rousey as being 'above' the rest of the women's division just for the pay-off to then be someone beating her (be it Asuka or Charlotte or anyone else), isn't that person just 'above' the person who's 'above' the women's division? You maybe get a one time shine on someone beating them and dethroning the person who beat Rousey, but soon enough that gloss rubs off. It's like with Reigns beating Lesnar - I doubt that shine will still be on him 12 months down the line, and it certainly won't go onto whoever takes the Uni title from Reigns.

  7. #47
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    WWE doesn't need Rousey, but they sure would be stupid not to use her if they can get her.

    She brings the same value as any other celebrity. She isn't going to instantly pop Network subscriptions to 2 million because she's on the card -- although she might since they're at ~1.5 mil and her PPVs didn't seem to have much problem doing 400-500k above the norm -- but she's going to being eyes to the product. Most importantly, those female eyes that love her.

    Then, it's their job to use that attention to increase their audience. It's their job to show those new women, who aren't MMA or wrestling fans but are Rousey fans, who tune in because she is on the show that there is a roster full of bad ass women like Auska and Charlotte and that these girls come in all sizes and that WWE's women's division is taken seriously and puts on good matches and this isn't the division of Sable and Terri who were there to strip.

    That is the value of Rousey. Putting some eyeballs on the women's division, highlighting it, so that women who don't watch pro wrestling can hopefully find something to sink their teeth in to or someone in WWE to get behind that they didn't know existed before.

    You won't bring a celebrity in hoping to fix business forever. You bring a celebrity hoping that a fraction of the eyeballs that they bring in will be impressed and stick around.

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Cyborg may be a bigger thing now than Ronda Rousey in the world of MMA, purely by virtue of the fact that she is active and Ronda isn't, and even then it's doubtful, but outside of MMA, Rousey is 100x the star that Cyborg is. Ronda was literally the biggest star in combat sports for a while, and she was known to have a massive audience of casual women who didn't care about MMA per se, but would tune in specifically for Rousey, which is why she did so many massive buyrates. Rousey would even hit 1M+ buyrates against a no-name opponent like Nunes, with Rousey refusing to promote the fight, on New Year's weekend of all times. That's how much of a massive star she is.

    Cyborg has never even done like half the buyrates Rousey has. And Rousey has an immense casual/mainstream recognition, whereas Cyborg has virtually none. This is no contest.

    If Rousey ever did another fight, she would probably blow everyone else out of the water except for Connor. Wins and loses in MMA do not matter that much nor do they kill drawing power so quickly.
    Every argument you bring is from years ago. She has nothing going for her at the moment and her star has faded. They're going to bring her in, give her everything and it will do nothing to spike the product. She was a fad. Accept it and move on.

    If her next fight would make a lot of money, she would have had it already. She's lost twice in a row and MMA has now passed her by.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-03-2018 at 11:44 AM.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Every argument you bring is from years ago. She has nothing going for her at the moment and her star has faded. They're going to bring her in, give her everything and it will do nothing to spike the product. She was a fad. Accept it and move on.
    Less than 2 years ago, to be exact. Which is not as gigantic a time-frame as you seem to think. Brock had more losses than Rousey, left for years, and was never even at his peak the star that she was, and he still drew massively (though not as much as Rousey) when Brock returned to the UFC in 2016.

    And if you think Rousey was a fad, I have to question whether you were living on the same planet as the rest of us over the last 5 years. 'Fads' don't do the ratings and viewerships that Ronda did, the 1M+ buyrates she did, get the movie offers she did, and have the name recognition she has. She is a bigger star than anyone on the WWE roster.

    If her next fight would make a lot of money, she would have had it already. She's lost twice in a row and MMA has now passed her by.
    She left on her own terms because she's a sore loser and a perfectionist. Dana White would *love* it if she would fight again. Most of the greatest stars in MMA have several losses and continue to draw. How many losses does Connor have? How about Brock? Did that stop either of them from drawing, or UFC from paying them millions of dollars to headline PPVs for them again? The answer is no.

    You're completely delusional if you think Rousey's star-power went from 1M+ buyrates with Nunes less than 2 years to nothing now.

  10. #50
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    WWE doesn't need Rousey, but they sure would be stupid not to use her if they can get her.

    She brings the same value as any other celebrity. She isn't going to instantly pop Network subscriptions to 2 million because she's on the card -- although she might since they're at ~1.5 mil and her PPVs didn't seem to have much problem doing 400-500k above the norm -- but she's going to being eyes to the product. Most importantly, those female eyes that love her.

    Then, it's their job to use that attention to increase their audience. It's their job to show those new women, who aren't MMA or wrestling fans but are Rousey fans, who tune in because she is on the show that there is a roster full of bad ass women like Auska and Charlotte and that these girls come in all sizes and that WWE's women's division is taken seriously and puts on good matches and this isn't the division of Sable and Terri who were there to strip.

    That is the value of Rousey. Putting some eyeballs on the women's division, highlighting it, so that women who don't watch pro wrestling can hopefully find something to sink their teeth in to or someone in WWE to get behind that they didn't know existed before.

    You won't bring a celebrity in hoping to fix business forever. You bring a celebrity hoping that a fraction of the eyeballs that they bring in will be impressed and stick around.
    This. As far as celebrities go, she is more suited to the WWE than most, and will probably do more for the women's division than basically anyone else they can get.

  11. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Allystare View Post
    Less than 2 years ago, to be exact. Which is not as gigantic a time-frame as you seem to think. Brock had more losses than Rousey, left for years, and was never even at his peak the star that she was, and he still drew massively (though not as much as Rousey) when Brock returned to the UFC in 2016.

    And if you think Rousey was a fad, I have to question whether you were living on the same planet as the rest of us over the last 5 years. 'Fads' don't do the ratings and viewerships that Ronda did, the 1M+ buyrates she did, get the movie offers she did, and have the name recognition she has. She is a bigger star than anyone on the WWE roster.



    She left on her own terms because she's a sore loser and a perfectionist. Dana White would *love* it if she would fight again. Most of the greatest stars in MMA have several losses and continue to draw. How many losses does Connor have? How about Brock? Did that stop either of them from drawing, or UFC from paying them millions of dollars to headline PPVs for them again? The answer is no.

    You're completely delusional if you think Rousey's star-power went from 1M+ buyrates with Nunes less than 2 years to nothing now.
    You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. Her last win was 2 and a half years ago. You are delusional if you don’t think that second loss destroyed her marketability. She was set to star in several movies including a remake of Road House and all of them got cancelled except for a supporting role in an upcoming move which she won’t even be included in the advertising for. Nobody cares anymore except you apparently. She’s the fucking definition of a fad.

    So when WWE does sign her and it does nothing to move the needle, I will gladly say I told you so.

    And Dana White would love it if she came back?

    "In November UFC president Dana White commented on the possibility of Rousey fighting again, saying: “I wouldn’t want to see it.”"

    http://www.newsweek.com/ronda-rousey...xt-move-742203
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-03-2018 at 11:15 PM.

  12. #52
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    Except that if you're an MMA fan, you have to know that Dana is constantly shooting off his mouth, especially if people are in his bad books. He's constantly saying that this guy doesn't deserve a fight, or that the next title shot will be that, and lo and behold that guy gets a fight and the next title shot is something completely different. He tries to make headlines with what he says, and most of it should be taken with a grain of salt.

    Rousey's marketability hasn't been killed. Not even close. If UFC announced tomorrow that she was coming back, it would do blockbuster numbers and the interest would be there. She's been out of sight and out of mind for sure, but get her back into the spotlight and she's there.

  13. #53
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    The Sportster is reporting that the WWE may have leaked the Uni Title March results to a South African TV station. The report says that Strowman will defend the Uni title at the EC against Lesnar, Reigns, Balor, Cesaro, and Big Cass. Take it for what you will, but here is the link.

    https://www.thesportster.com/wrestli...FB-P&view=list

  14. #54
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    What a weird hodgepodge of guys that would be. A fun match, though.

    I hope that if it's true it doesn't cost Braun the belt. WWE loves to change direction if they know that we know.

  15. #55
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Now THAT I'm all in on. Throw the cat among the pigeons WWE, do it.

    Braun ain't finished with Roman yet, after all.

    Big Cass back from injury too, which is interesting.

  16. #56
    The Rousey thing is a situation where everyone is both right and wrong. Will bringing in Rousey help for Mania? Absolutely; she has far more name value than any other woman on the roster (primarily because WWE, despite all their Women's Revolution branding, has done little to make any stars in the division not named Alexa Bliss, Charlotte or Asuka) and does still have some celebrity status to her. Will it make a significant difference? No. There's a reason Rousey went from being sought for film roles to those projects being canceled, and it's not because she wanted to focus on other stuff. Yes she was a huge draw, but that was back when a) she was winning every single fight and b) she was attempting a comeback after her loss to Holm. Both of those things are gone now, and unlike Brock, Rousey can't say she was a great wrestler before becoming an MMA star (something that significantly helped Brock when he returned which most people forget). Basically she'll help some, but unless something unexpected happens, she's not going to be nearly the draw some think.

    And that Braun thing is fake. Less we forget, Cass' torn ACL is keeping him out nine months. He injured himself in August, which means the soonest he'll be back is May. So take that thing with all the grains of salt.
    Last edited by Cult Icon; 01-04-2018 at 12:59 PM.


  17. #57
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    But it's like I said, I don't expect her to be a gigantic draw, and I don't think that's where her value lies. If she can pique the interest of 500k people, 200k of whom tune in to her segment(s), 50k of whom subscribe to the Network for the Rumble and keep it through Mania to see the angle pay off, 20k of whom get invested in another star on the roster, be it man or woman, and become regular or semi-regular viewers then her involvement is a win.

    The trick with her involvement is to highlight the women. Spotlight that division hard, and not just what Rousey is doing. Those women who are into Rousey want strong female characters to latch on to who aren't afterthoughts, so give them that. They latched on to her because she was a bad ass, so have Rousey draw the eyes and give them bad ass chicks to keep them around. But that part is up to the company.

    Yeah, if she comes in and things stay status quo and she only ever interacts with Charlotte or Asuka or Alexa Bliss and makes Carmella look like a fool and taps out Liv Morgan on day one then they'll have gotten a celebrity, popped ratings on TV for a few weeks, maybe gained a few subscribers and will have a few moments to replay for a few years on highlight reels, but it'll have ultimately been pointless. If they put even a fraction of the WWE machine behind the women with more than one segment per week and give them legitimacy it might pay off.

    Remember when The Shield murdered The Rock on Raw? Imagine if Absolution took out Rousey three-on-one and left her laying really brutally one night. Right there, you make that stable mean that much more. If Rousey and Asuka had a really intense staredown only for Asuka to go on and merc someone later in the show. If Rousey and Charlotte had a pull apart brawl where Charlotte isn't just taken down and beaten but sold as an equal to Ronda Rousey. That's the kind of stuff that gives people in the division some shine.

    Obviously not everyone can look like Rousey's equal, and not everyone can be made a star. That's just the reality of pro wrestling. But those people, specifically women, tuning in and seeing women of all shapes and sizes being treated like legitimate athletes and having actual characters beyond just "Bitch #3" like it was even 10 years ago might actually be interested and stick around.
    Last edited by Team Farrell; 01-04-2018 at 01:44 PM.

  18. #58
    If you haven't already, go to the PICK THE WINNER thread for the Rumble and get your numbers locked in.

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Quote Originally Posted by Team Farrell View Post
    Except that if you're an MMA fan, you have to know that Dana is constantly shooting off his mouth, especially if people are in his bad books. He's constantly saying that this guy doesn't deserve a fight, or that the next title shot will be that, and lo and behold that guy gets a fight and the next title shot is something completely different. He tries to make headlines with what he says, and most of it should be taken with a grain of salt.

    Rousey's marketability hasn't been killed. Not even close. If UFC announced tomorrow that she was coming back, it would do blockbuster numbers and the interest would be there. She's been out of sight and out of mind for sure, but get her back into the spotlight and she's there.
    You’re wrong. I love when facts are posted, someone replies “well he’s probably lying.” You just completely dismiss it because it goes against your argument. He didn’t say it for a headline, he said it because he was asked. The comment is far down in the story. No headline was made from his comment.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-04-2018 at 03:08 PM.

  20. #60
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    Yup, you're right. Dana has no history of saying things just to talk trash or get people talking.

    https://www.thescore.com/mma/news/13...p-bisping-bout
    https://sports.yahoo.com/dana-white-...4779--mma.html
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eal/108780448/
    http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/...c-fall-9720006
    http://mmajunkie.com/2014/04/white-s...snt-that-funny
    http://mmajunkie.com/2016/11/ufc-bos...on-jones-again

    Dana White's mouth is the promoter equivalent to Donald Trump's Twitter.

    The guy talks to talk and to make headlines and to make stories happen. If Rousey said "one more fight", he'd make it happen.

  21. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    His comments on Rousey generated no headlines. It was in the middle of a story. He said it because it’s the truth. After the embarrassing beating she took to Nunes nobody cares to see her fight again. The people got fooled twice, it ain’t happening a third time.

    A couple of those links don’t even support your argument. Like the Phil Davis one.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-04-2018 at 03:53 PM.

  22. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    You couldn’t be more wrong if you tried. Her last win was 2 and a half years ago. You are delusional if you don’t think that second loss destroyed her marketability. She was set to star in several movies including a remake of Road House and all of them got cancelled except for a supporting role in an upcoming move which she won’t even be included in the advertising for. Nobody cares anymore except you apparently. She’s the fucking definition of a fad.

    So when WWE does sign her and it does nothing to move the needle, I will gladly say I told you so.

    And Dana White would love it if she came back?

    "In November UFC president Dana White commented on the possibility of Rousey fighting again, saying: “I wouldn’t want to see it.”"

    http://www.newsweek.com/ronda-rousey...xt-move-742203
    He also said the same thing about Connor (when Connor walked out and pretended he retired) before paying him record amounts of money to do the 2nd Diaz fighter. He said the same thing about GSP for the longest time (because GSP refused to fight without being compensated for the various sponserships he was used to getting that the UFC was no longer letting its stars take), before paying him millions of dollars to return. Everyone who has even a basic familiarity of MMA and Dana White knows that he's very emotional and impulsive when he feels he's been slighted by other people, and will just spout off the top of his mouth. No one takes it seriously, not even Dana, as Team Farrell mentioned.

    And stars don't diminish after a couple of losses. People in wrestling might believe that (HHH once laughably tried to sell that point at press conference about how wrestling was in fact superior to UFC because they could make sure their draws don't lose), but it never works out in reality. Top stars in MMA get demolished all the time and come back and draw huge anyways. Brock - again - is a notable example. How many times did he lose when he first retired from UFC again? Even top 'losers' in MMA come back and draw PPV numbers that the WWE could only dream off. Bellator's entire business model is taking UFC *rejects* and somehow still drawing massive ratings with them. Stars do not fade in the way you think they do, audiences are remarkable loyal. Ronda's audience isn't even MMA fans, it's housewives and women who have no interest in MMA, but are interested in strong female role models, and they turned in to the tune of hundreds of thousands for Ronda PPVs.

    You're just out of your depth on this topic, you should accept that graciously, instead of obdurately sticking to nonsense. Team Farrell has a far better grasp of MMA than yourself.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-04-2018 at 08:12 PM.

  23. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    Please. You have no fucking clue what you are talking about or to. If she was so marketable she would have been all over the place in 2017. She would have had Road House (canceled) come out, the movie with Tina Fey (canceled) come out, anything. Reality is calling. I give facts and all you can say is “well he’s lying” or “well that’s not true” even when it is. We are just going in circles because you have nothing to argue except your awful opinion and emotions. I’m glad you respect the opinion of a wannabe wrestler but it means nothing to me because it’s wrong. This is 2018.

    You are comparing a larger than life figure like Brock Lesnar to Rousey who has no signature look to stand out or natural intimidation. Apples and oranges. You know that too but won’t admit it because you have a shitty argument.
    .
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-04-2018 at 08:16 PM.

  24. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Please. You have no fucking clue what you are talking about or to. If she was so marketable she would have been all over the place in 2017. She would have had Road House (canceled) come out, the movie with Tina Fey (canceled) come out, anything. Reality is calling. I give facts and all you can say is “well he’s lying” or “well that’s not true” even when it is. We are just going in circles because you have nothing to argue except your awful opinion and emotions. I’m glad you respect the opinion of a wannabe wrestler but it means nothing to me because it’s wrong. This is 2018.

    You are comparing a larger than life figure like Brock Lesnar to Rousey who has no signature look to stand out or natural intimidation. Apples and oranges. You know that too but won’t admit it because you have a shitty argument.
    .
    What part of 'she chose to retire' do you not mentally apprehend? She literally had a mental breakdown after both of her losses, was suicidal (she has admitted this in public interviews), and decided that she loved her boyfriend and wanted to have his kids badly enough that she could make it through this. She ragequit the Olympics after her first time because she *only* won a bronze. That is the sort of person she is. It is well-known that Ronda has a host of perfectionist issues, and takes losing very poorly. You keep repeating the 'if she was still a star, she would be out there', while not realizing that this was and is, purely intentional on her part, and in fact revealing of your lack of knowledge on this subject matter. She is not-out there, not because no one wants her, but because she essentially had a psychological existential crisis.

    And the only one making idiotic comparisons here is you. Ronda has been a far bigger star than Brock for years. Every single measurable metric proves this. She did far better buy rates, far better ratings, she got far wider coverage from mainstream sources, she got more varied offers, made the UFC more money, was paid more money (per fight), and so on.

    It's not even close, and it isn't even debatable. Brock was never the star Ronda was, ever. Please stop embarrassing yourself, it is actually getting painful to read.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-04-2018 at 08:37 PM.

  25. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2,621
    I know she suffered all that trauma, which only reinforces my point. Thank you. Now you’re changing the argument on who is a bigger star which I never intended of having. Whatever dude. Brock has staying power for the reasons I mentioned. Ronda doesn’t. Get your last word in because I’m done.

    When the WWE signs her, rolls out the red carpet for her and gain absolutely nothing, I will gladly say I told you so.
    Last edited by comfortablynumb; 01-04-2018 at 08:40 PM.

  26. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    3,798
    Watch Ronda not even be in the Rumble match. lol

  27. #67
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    Thte closer we get to the Rumble makes it more and more obvious that a woman from Smackdown is going to win the Rumble. Alexa Bliss has 2 people that she is in the mix with right now. Asuka and Nia. One of those two, if not both will face her at Mania, and Charlotte has not has any singular woman feud for a while, which points to someone from Smackdown getting the win.

  28. #68
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,087
    So, if Asuka gets tossed, is her streak over? Does she have to win to be undefeated?

  29. #69
    The Brain
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,142
    I seriously doubt WWE will book it as a streak-breaker if she goes out. Pin or submission is what they usually talk about with these things. Though if she wins and it's a moot point, I won't complain.

  30. #70
    Squared
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Northern England, UK
    Posts
    5,304
    They don't normally count, do they? I remember Tatanka being in the 1993 Rumble but that not being mentioned as breaking his win streak which ran until much later that year.



    @lopprimetime

  31. #71
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    No the Rumble will not count. Rusev made his main roster debut at the Rumble and they didn't hold that against him with his winning streak.

  32. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Please. You have no fucking clue what you are talking about or to. If she was so marketable she would have been all over the place in 2017. She would have had Road House (canceled) come out, the movie with Tina Fey (canceled) come out, anything. Reality is calling. I give facts and all you can say is “well he’s lying” or “well that’s not true” even when it is. We are just going in circles because you have nothing to argue except your awful opinion and emotions. I’m glad you respect the opinion of a wannabe wrestler but it means nothing to me because it’s wrong. This is 2018.

    You are comparing a larger than life figure like Brock Lesnar to Rousey who has no signature look to stand out or natural intimidation. Apples and oranges. You know that too but won’t admit it because you have a shitty argument.
    .
    you are too old to take pro wrestling this serious...

    you're also one of the only names i recognize here anymore other than maybe lazyking

    anyways, will this ppv be worth watching? I quit watching wwe a long time ago but since I have a pw for the network I watch the big 4 ppvs (or try too). is fucking roman reigns going to win again?

    i see you guys are saying they have the divas in the rumble this year. will the wwe really let a fucking woman win?

  33. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    589
    Asuka was eliminated from a battle royal during NXT and they didn't count it as the end of her streak then so doubt they'll count it if she's eliminated in the Rumble.

  34. #74
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    389 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    952
    HHH and Stephanie McMahon will win the two Rumbles then simultaneously raise middle fingers at us all to end the show. I can actually see it happening.

  35. #75
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    I can 100% see Steph being in the women's Rumble.

    I can also 100% see her eliminating, if she's in it, Rousey to set a Mania match. Which, for the record, is how to use both Rousey and a Steph appearance - isolated completely from the women who appear weekly.

  36. #76
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    1,148
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    I can 100% see Steph being in the women's Rumble.

    I can also 100% see her eliminating, if she's in it, Rousey to set a Mania match. Which, for the record, is how to use both Rousey and a Steph appearance - isolated completely from the women who appear weekly.
    No. That's an unimaginatively bad way to use her, squandering her on a vanity match with part-timer wanna-be Stephanie. Rousey should be reprise her role as a badass killer who dominates a couple of women, and then goes on to put over someone like Asuka or Charlotte in a big time angle and match, and really solidifies them. You've got one of the biggest, most iconic stars of combat sports, and a female one at that, of the last several years, and this fledgling women's division that you're trying to make something out of in a company that was retrograde on women's sports until very recently, treating them purely as nothing-toys, and you want to waste this on Stephanie's ego?

    The Stephanie-Rousey match was always a terrible idea, and I wasn't a fan of it when they teased it at WM 31 either.
    Last edited by Allystare; 01-11-2018 at 02:01 AM.

  37. #77
    While I do believe Allystare is still vastly overrating what Rousey means in 2018, he's absolutely right about the Steph match being a bad idea. For one, it'll be the type of match WWE will hype so much that they'll allow the other women's matches to get completed overshadowd, and that's if they even decide to do two more women's matches (I could easily see Vince saying Rousey-Steph and a Smackdown women's match is enough, leaving several workers out in the cold). More crucially, even though Rousey isn't the draw she once was, she is still a draw. You're really going to waste that on Stephanie McMahon, a woman who's last feud (against Brie Bella of all people) was so terrible that fans were actively tuning out of their main event angles in droves? Winning that match does nothing for Rousey if she's sticking around going forward and losing kills her dead; it's a dead end scenario either way. If you actually are going to use Rousey, put her against one of your main performers and either use her to put them over or, in the case Rousey does prove to be both a better worker and draw than most of us think, strap the rocket to her and go as long as you can. You absolutely cannot do that with a Stephanie McMahon match; the angles leading up the match alone will nuke any goodwill Rousey has.


  38. #78
    I beat up Kong! Powder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    4,931
    Besides, we do not know if Rousey can talk a good promo, and we all know that Stephanie will cut her down without remorse and will get almost no retaliation, because she is Stephanie.

  39. #79
    Senior Member Oliver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    1,948
    Well I don't want Rousey near a single one of the women who appear every week on TV. None of them gain anything by even being in a ring with her in a non-physical way, and there isn't a situation where the product as a whole wins out - either Rousey goes over and makes every woman on the roster look like shit, or the opponent goes over and is a level above every other woman on the roster making them look like shit. Either way, everyone not in that match looks like shit.

    So, isolate Rousey, line her up with Steph, and let them have like 10 minutes of Mania where Steph gets her arm broke the fuck up in record time. Fuck it, I don't care, I won't watch it because I don't care about Rousey turning up, and don't care about any match she could be in. It means fuck all to me. Fuck Ronda Rousey, tell her to go back to licking her wounds from her failed MMA return and failed film career. Invest money and time in who you've actually got on the roster, working week in week out. Give them the Mania spots.

    If the women's Rumble gets us a brief Molly Holly return AND a brief LayCool reunion, as rumoured, I'm so fucking in. According to WON there are plans to use no fewer than NINE NXT women in the Rumble match, but with 20 non-title holding main roster women (I think?) that only leaves one surprise slot, so I figure either the NXT women number is wrong, they're not using all the main roster talent (which is a fucking kick in the teeth to some of them), or we're not getting a whole lot of surprises.

  40. #80
    Lamb of LOP anonymous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    389 miles from Sheepster
    Posts
    952
    Dana, Tamina, Lana and Paige will all miss out (Paige though injury) quite easily. I hope Santina returns and wins. If Chyna, Beth etc..could enter the male I think we should have a bloke enter the female.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •