Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: The Walking Dead Thread (Potential Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Section ( 8 ) View Post
    First season was decent. Little slow in the middle, but a good ending. And it's a quick season. Worth a watch.

Jury is still out on this next season.

As for being on a boat, eventually you'll have to go back on land. Which just reminds me of the end of the Dawn of the Dead remake.
    True - Phil Dunphy made that movie. - There's some pretty swanky boats by me though, and a shop on the way!

Just got up to date with Fear. Gotta say I enjoyed both episodes.

The Walking Dead Seaosn 7 trailer from Comic Con:

And Shiva confirmed:

Cn_26siUAAEfmtQ.jpg

Well that was the most depressing hour of fictional TV I've ever watched.

So this episode proves that in the modern age of technology, you cannot have cliffhangers this big on a television show. The episode/script was leaked almost in its entirety 2 plus months ago. Not to mention avid fans figured it out by hanging around the sets and seeing who was showing up to work and who no longer wasn't. Watching it play out entirely as the spoilers said it would was deflating and kind of angering. It proves that Kirkman wasted his, and everyone else's time by not just dropping the boom at the end of last season. And, honestly, they could have easily told the story just as powerfully this season by doing so. What a waste.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    So this episode proves that in the modern age of technology, you cannot have cliffhangers this big on a television show. The episode/script was leaked almost in its entirety 2 plus months ago. Not to mention avid fans figured it out by hanging around the sets and seeing who was showing up to work and who no longer wasn't. Watching it play out entirely as the spoilers said it would was deflating and kind of angering. It proves that Kirkman wasted his, and everyone else's time by not just dropping the boom at the end of last season. And, honestly, they could have easily told the story just as powerfully this season by doing so. What a waste.
    Or you could just not read or pay attention to fan sites and spoilers.

Oh I didn't intentionally happen upon it. It was spoiled via a comment online. Then I saw a few more that confirmed it. The leak was everywhere online. That's part of the point. He risked a fair portion of the audience's enjoyment and genuine reaction by doing a ratings grab.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Oh I didn't intentionally happen upon it. It was spoiled via a comment online. Then I saw a few more that confirmed it. The leak was everywhere online. That's part of the point. He risked a fair portion of the audience's enjoyment and genuine reaction by doing a ratings grab.
    I don;t think so. Everyone knew (even if they wanted to deny it) that at least one would be Glenn b/c of the faking of his death earlier in the season, and that he is killed in the same exact manner in the comics.

Abraham was a shock. I can tell you, that any fan theory, or resource that came out for the past few months, I deliberately overlooked to not spoil anything for me.

Kleck, you only have yourself to blame.

I was pretty annoyed with the way season 6 ended too, but what I just watched was incredible. I avoided spoilers by just not clicking on things, but that would still be a powerful episode regardless of what I knew.

Such a great season premiere.

I agree. Truly spectacular. I thought it was silly to wait so long into the episode for the reveal, but this had some of the best acting the show has ever displayed. I thought the bit with Sasha and Rosita was an especially nice touch.

Never read a comic, but when Negan says "...catch a tiger by the toe", I couldn't help but wonder what Ezekiel would think about that.

EDIT: Reviews are roasting this episode for being too bleak and depressing, as if we all haven't been watching the same show for the past seven years and know what to expect. Guess they expected JDM to be playing a comedian or something.
    Last edited by Smart_Mark; 10-24-2016 at 11:15 AM.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

I still laughed at shit Negan was doing, it was depressing as hell but Negan is the best mega heel Walking dead has created. He killed two of Rick's people, Glenn one of the most popular characters and made Rick his bitch. What a debut.

I think the way the story was told was terrible with the flashbacks but I liked what happened I guess. This show Has good stories but rarely executes them very well. They should have ended last season with Abraham dying, then Glenn would have been a bigger shock.

Watching the post show for episode 1, im a few weeks behind and finally caught up... But i guess they had to put the heel over super strong over a high midcard guy and moonlight main eventer in glenn. Someones gotta kick his ass man!
    Other Places You Can Reach Me.

Rich Latta II On Facebook
    Join The Wrestling Squared Circle

Host Of One Nation Radio - socialsuplexwrestling.podbean.com
    Twitter @RichLatta32
    Instagram - @OneNationRadioWrestling
    Appears Monthly After RAW PPV's on Chad Matthews' Podcast "The Doc Says"
    Voice Of The Doc Says Theme Music
    Find my music @ soundcloud.com/RichLatta

THANKS FOR READING. Until Next Time!

We're nearing the return of The Walking Dead, and it appears as though AMC is now allowing two "fucks" per season on their shows. That's not nearly enough for Neegan. Will be interesting to see where they use them.

Thoughts on the new season?

I'm looking forward to it, especially the conclusion of All Out War and how close it stays to the comic.

You think Fear the Walking Dead being so bad hurts The Walking Dead?

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    I'm looking forward to it, especially the conclusion of All Out War and how close it stays to the comic.

You think Fear the Walking Dead being so bad hurts The Walking Dead?
    No, not at all. I think they were hoping that FTWD would get a rub from the original, but it didn't happen. I don't even really think of them as shows that are together in the same world. Watched like 3 episodes of Fear and gave up on it. Doesn't make me like TWD any less.

FTWD and TWD are apparently going to be crossing over at some point in 2018, probably sooner rather than later. I tried to watch FTWD and just couldn't get into it, but this news may make me want to revisit it a bit just so I know what the hell's going on when the crossover happens.

POTENTIAL CROSSOVER SPOILERS FOLLOW, WITH PRETTY MILD TWD SPOILERS FROM THE NEWEST EPISODE AFTER THAT

There's no word on how, exactly, said crossover will work, but rumors floating around say that it may involve Abraham. I'd certainly be alright with that, as I dig the hell out of Big Red and miss him on the show... but I don't see how that would work since his backstory has already been pretty clearly laid out and it doesn't seem to include any jaunts over to the West Coast. Again, though, that's just a rumor and likely has zero to do with what will actually happen.

What did you guys think of the season premiere? I dug it, myself, but I dig pretty much every episode. Fuck Gregory, though. Seriously.

And for all those folks, like Cracked, who claim that character development has crawled to a stop on TWD, I say look no further than Father Gabriel. That dude went from a fucking burden guy that everyone hated to a valuable member of the crew that I was genuinely pissed about having been fucked over.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

So... is nobody watching TWD this season?

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

Squared
    Can't say I am. Probably the biggest show I have not actually seen. Probably should check this out some time.

Imagine there's still a crowd for it here though. It seems huge.

I just finished the new episode. I literally yelled at my TV at 1am and shed actual tears.

Fuck, man. Just fuck.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

Well seeing as you did it, it's ok. Fuckkkkkkkkkkkk. That was worse than one of the three people at the end potentially dying for me. Fuck.

The only redeeming quality of the Walking Dead this season is that there have been no lame, dull, nonsense episode so far of the 4. Other than that, I am only still watching because I have watched it all so far, and I want to see the outcomes, but the Walking Dead has hit a wall, hard, and is no where the show it once was.

Last night's episode was ok, and had a few moments, but the show drags, and drags, and drags. There is no need to constantly flip time sequences, and no need to have "character growth" at this point. We know who everyone is, what their roles are, and what is "supposed to" happen. Just give us more of the all out war.

In the comic I could buy into Shiva, in the show I just couldn't. I'm still baffled how it seemed to know who the enemies are and who the good guys are.

The flipping of time sequences and the general editing and direction have been horrible this season.

At least we get to find out next week if he did bring his shitting pants or not.

I don't agree with the various criticisms. I'm personally of the opinion that the narrative style of the show has been a positive thing. As the sheer scope of the world they live in grows, I enjoy that we're getting concerned focus on specific aspects as opposed to episodes jumping back and forth and all around trying to keep up with all the shit that's going on simultaneously. Character growth, to me, is essential, especially at this point in the proceedings. This is an evolving reality, a constantly changing situation. These people are literally going to war. That changes someone, regardless the circumstances, especially when one perhaps doesn't necessarily agree with the reason or methodology behind said war. Morgan's arc, specifically, has interested me greatly. I like the conflict of, "I know I'm wrong, but I'm also right," in the face of all this shit. That, to me, is far more interesting than simply, "Kill 'em all and lot god sort 'em out." If I want to see that shit, I'll just watch a Steven Segal movie or something.

I also disagree on Shiva. I think she worked fine. Was it a bit of a stretch? Absolutely, but so then are many things. Especially King Ezekiel. The character itself is over the top and fantastical, and Shiva helped bring that home in a big way. The reality is that the Savior dude last night was spitting a lot of truth, which is why it got to Zeke the way it did. But it's also true that Ezekiel's bombast and posturing as King is exactly what was needed by some of his subjects, as seen in Jerry. Seeing Ezekiel get deconstructed like that, broken down and humiliated, damn near losing everything, is a fantastic motivator for character growth and I'm very interested in seeing how he progressed from this point forward. Shiva was a metaphor, a symbol of how fantastical and almost delusional Ezekiel was. With her death comes the invasion of reality into what was previously a fantasy. A King has to lead, especially in times of hardship in peril. Can he step up now that his facade has been beat to shit? The death of Shiva represented the death of who Ezekiel was up to this point. We're now left to see just how much of that act was reality as we witness a man rebuilding himself and his identity from the ground up.

I still think the show is great. The fact of the matter is that things have changed drastically as the show has evolved, in the sense of the specific situations they find themselves in and the sheer dynamics of how they're operating in a constantly evolving world. Were the earlier seasons perhaps more dynamic, more exciting, etc.? Sure. But that's not reality. In the end, it's all about taste, just like many other things. Some prefer the almost action movie qualities of the earlier seasons, and that's cool. Others don't mind the world building, drama and measured pace of the last few seasons, and that's also cool. It is a very different show now from when it first debuted. That doesn't mean that it's hit a wall or that it sucks. It just means that it's different. I, personally, find that pretty awesome, though I recognize that others don't.

Bottom line? Any show that can make me yell at my TV at 1am and cry genuine tears over a CGI tiger is doing something right. And how fucking good is Khary Payton? That dude is excellent. I was already upset and yelling at the TV, but it was the look of pain and horror on his face that tipped me to the point of watery eyes. That dude fucking delivers every time he's on screen.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

If you read back into the thread, you will find that I hate the character of Morgan. For me personally, the Jump the Shark moment was the 90 minute episode about Morgan. Not only is Morgan a complete waste of my time space on the show, this episode came directly following the apparent death of Glen when he fell off the dumpster into the herd. The ending of that episode was one of the most talked about episodes ever and then instead of giving the fans the next week the outcome of what happens to Glen, the producers decide to shit all over us but giving us a 90 fucking minute borefest backstory about the most useless, uninspired, whiny bitch of a character, Morgan.

Morgan:
    I live in a world where the literal dead walk and will kill you without consequence or remorse. I also live in a world where the survivors of this apocalypse have to either kill or be killed in order to survive. If you can find someone that could possibly be an ally, you need to vet them very carefully because it might be a trap or at least a long con. But nope, I am going to be a non violent, non killing person, and try to convince everyone else, that is how we are supposed to be. Even when he knew who was out there. Rogue groups of killers and the Saviors.

Now that Morgan has gotten his will to kill back, it makes him even more transparent and lack of depth. Not one season,ago he wants to never kill, now kill them all? Just kill of Morgan already. Every time he is on my screen I want to change the channel. He should not even get a good death like Dale, Herschel, Beth, Glen, or Abraham. He should be just left out in the forest surrounded by a herd and then the camera pans out and goodbye.
    Last edited by Powder; 11-14-2017 at 09:54 AM.

The "character development" on this show is so inauthentic and cliche. Just focus on Rick going off the rails and biting people's throats. The directors try way too hard to make artsy shots. Just get back to basics.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    The "character development" on this show is so inauthentic and cliche. Just focus on Rick going off the rails and biting people's throats. The directors try way too hard to make artsy shots. Just get back to basics.
    Yup. And why is it that Rick is the only one who can't find a clean pair of pants and a shirt? Seriously. Every other character has gotten new clothes except for him.

I've got to disagree once more, especially as it pertains to Morgan. I'm not going to sit here and say, "You're wrong! Morgan is awesome!," because, well, that's asinine and kinda dickish. Who the fuck am I to tell you what you can and can't like? I fucking hate people who deal in absolutes like that, putting forth that something is universally terrible just because they don't like it.

What I will do is explain my take on Morgan and why he's actually one of my favorites. I knew a Morgan about 10 years ago. His name was Barney, and Barney was a meth addict. Super good guy, really funny and warm and kindhearted... but couldn't fucking function without meth. It was depressing as shit. Dude eventually lost his wife and kids over it and still couldn't stop. That shit had him hooked deep, physically but especially mentally.

He eventually got busted and faced down prison time if he didn't go to rehab. So he went to rehab. When he came out he was amazed at the fact that he was clean, that he could function without meth. He didn't know what the fuck to do with himself, he was so happy. There are two different kinds of rehab success story people, though. There's the kind who just go about their lives now knowledgeable about what got them into the trap in the first place and avoiding those situations like the plague, but not really talking about it much to others. It's a personal battle that they'll discuss if asked, but mostly just want to keep to themselves.

Then there are the others. The ones who are so amazed that this shit worked, so happy to be free of their vices, that they want to spread it around. They see others doing what they used to and instead of acknowledging that not everyone is the same, that some folks can drink a beer or whatever without going on a bender and fucking shit up, they feel obliged to go and tell them exactly why what they're doing is wrong and how they can successfully change their ways. It's really fucking annoying.

Barney was the latter. His specific rehab had been religious based, so he went around extolling the virtues of Jesus being able to set you on the right path. It got really fucking old really fucking fast, especially since I'm an atheist. But it wasn't intended to be annoying. He was just so far gone prior to rehab that he genuinely thought he was beyond hope, that nothing could curb his addiction. When he found something that actually worked, he was so goddamn excited by it that he wanted to spread the word and save the world. It was a noble cause, though ultimately misguided.

I was talking to him one night, trying not to be a dick while telling him to stop feeding me the Jesus trip, when he started crying. He told me that he was sorry, that he was just excited to be clean and have his wife and kids back and all that... but that he was also scared. He was scared because he knew that the addiction still lived inside him and that if he fucked up just one time, he might find himself back where he was before very, very quickly. It was through constantly "witnessing" to others that he was able to remind himself not to slip up. If he didn't try to sell his method of salvation constantly, he was afraid he'd forget.

I wish there was a happy ending to the story, but it's real life and real life doesn't often provide neat little bows to tie everything up. He wound up using again and, just like he was afraid of, almost immediately went back to his previous level of addiction. He ultimately got busted again and went to prison, losing his wife and kids for good in the process. I haven't seen him in about 7 years, though I do sometimes see his now ex-wife and kids around town with her new husband.

Morgan is Barney. Morgan was fucking lost. That was fucking blatant. Dude had gone off the deep end and was essentially operating from the animal part of his brain. No rhyme or reason, just survive at all costs. Then he stumbled into meeting Eastman and his version of Jesus rehab. Despite how far gone he had been, this ethos of nonviolence and finding inner peace brought him back to humanity and away from the almost bestial man he had been for so long after his son's death. When he joined up with the group, he proceeded to do exactly what Barney had done and save everyone. He didn't care if they agreed with him or not, he just saw his friends in pain and knew that his hurt had been salved by this method of living. So he wanted to help and got fucking annoying, to the point that Carol had to whoop that ass.

It wasn't just that he wanted to save everyone, though. He also knew that the fucked up mindset he had been in was still inside him. That the animalistic, savage part of him was just waiting to come out. On a psychological level, he was terrified that if he slipped up one time, if he broke his new moral code and took even one life, that it very well may be a slippery slope. That he may well be right back where he started and that this time, there may not be any salvation.

Then that kid from The Kingdom died and it triggered him in the same way that the death of his son had. He flew off the handle... and he hasn't yet recovered. He's gradually turning into the savage that he was before, to the point that he's now basically a human Terminator that has even attacked his friend, Jesus. The only difference is that this time he knows it. He sees it happening... but he can't stop it. You can't close Pandora's Box, at least not easily. So he left because he knows what that Morgan is capable of. He doesn't want to kill Jesus... but he will. Because this Morgan, the addicted to chaos Morgan, doesn't know rhyme or reason. He knows kill 'em all and fuck anyone in my way.

Morgan is an addict. He hit rock bottom, found redemption, tried to make it work to even the point of being a hindrance to his group... but eventually backslid and now finds himself on the cusp of returning to the full on addict, savage mindset that he was in before. Only this time, doing so could cause him to hurt people he cares about.

That's a pretty solid character arc to me. Everyone has different tastes, though. I like Morgan because I recognize him. I sympathize with him. I know him.

Oh, and I didn't mind that they made us wait to find out how Glenn survived. Because it was obvious to me that he survived. They don't kill a main character off screen and then just ignore it. I liked the building tension and curiosity and frankly felt that those complaining so vociferously were lacking in patience. That's probably due to me being very much used to cliffhangers and things of that nature, as I grew up in the 80s and 90s when that shit was standard operating procedure. So yeah, I didn't sweat it. I knew we'd get back to it eventually so I just enjoyed the other stuff that was going down in the meantime.

^^^
    Click For A
    Super Cool Facebook Page

Morgan might be the next one to die

It was obvious to everyone Glenn survived for the reasons you mention, which made the stunt even cheaper.

Morgan is whatever the writers need him to be at this point. I still like him but he's been written horribly for a couple years now. It's sad because I'm a big fan of the actor and his first appearance in the pilot was heart wrenching. Great stuff.

Steve, I am so sorry for your friend, and I completely agree with your point on Morgan. BUT within the confines of a TV shoe which was about Zombies, but now about surviving in the Zombied world, I see no point in having a deep character arc with Morgan. They did that with Rick in that Negan was toying with him for the better part of 2 seasons, and he broke Rick and then Rick finally got his balls back.

Morgan again, is a waste of my time.

As someone who has never read the comics I have no idea how this is going to end. Or if they're even still writing them so the ending is still up in the air. I've tried to stay away from anything related to it as not to be spoiled. I did see though that Rick and Andrea got together in the comics? Glad that didn't happen. But in regards to character development it's gotten to the point where I don't need it. I don't want a whole episode being dedicated to someone. Or flashbacks. Or the opening episode this year being either Rick dreaming or a fast forward to the end where it shows two people are dead. I don't want none of that. I've emotionally invested in certain characters from the start and that's all I need. I'll stick the show out but the only way I stop watching is if Daryl is killed off before the very last episode. And I do expect him to die unfortunately.

Yeah, Carl starts calling Andrea “Mom” eventually because Rick and her get so close.