Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: The Walking Dead Thread (Potential Spoilers)

I agree with everything you said but I cant stand the actress that plays Carol so I'm hoping this will be one of the last times we see her.

You know she's gonna end up with the Gov.

I'm kinda hoping thats what happens now.

I hope it happens sooner than later. I've had enough of the prison. It's time to move on and bring on Abraham.

Haven't watched last episode yet, though I know about Carol.

Over/under on the Gov showing up this season? If it happens I'm betting it's either next half or the cliffhanger for this half.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

THE MONKEY
    He definitely shows up and I would agree that the mid season finale is the best bet.

Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    I hope it happens sooner than later. I've had enough of the prison. It's time to move on and bring on Abraham.
    They are supposedly gonna focus more episodes on different types of "Runs" like the comic. Food, Meds [ Like last episode ] Supplies and other shit. So I don't think they will be leaving the Prison until the very last episode.

Finally caught the last episode. Considering how that episode was structured, maybe they don't have to leave the prison any time soon. This isn't the first episode that focused on a smaller group away from the prison (the first Andrea/Governor episode from last season comes to mind). The show can have a change of scenery without changing it's location.

The Hurra Duff
    Shit is about to get interesting now.

You know I mean if you saw the end of last night's episode.

reedard
    Maybe. Just because he showed up at the end doesn't really mean much.

Banned
    After a horrific first show, the walking dead has blown me away...last ep. was no exception to that new rule. I loved the show. I was on the edge of my seat towards the climax. Also...seeing...you know who...return was cool as hell too. I can't wait for next week.

Brilliant fucking episode. This show just got a million times more interesting.

Yes, it was. Actually made me sympathize with "Brian," who I always just saw as an evil bastard until now. However, I hope all next episode isn't focused on him, as well.

I thought it was OK. We kind of already knew he could be a sweet guy, especially with a young kid. This show is great at passing off filler as entertainment. Reminded me of last week with Herschel. Some call it character development but we already know who these people are, there's no need for it all.

How many episodes left in this half? Two? I'm thinking we get one more governor-heavy episode if for no other reason than he was in the clip for next week. By the time he's standing outside the prison, we should be gearing up for a huge morality angle between "Brian's" group and Rick's group early next year.

The thing that pisses me off about TWD is how they butcher the characters and create storylines instead of using the already created material.

Last season should have ended with the battle at the prison being violent and bloody and with the governor getting killed, like the comic. And many people will hate me for this, but Judy "little asskicker" should have been killed at this battle. Then the surviving members of the group should have left the prison and moved on.

In the comic the battle at the prison was awesome, and one of the most powerful moments was when the governor shot and killed the very pregnant Lori Grimes and killed the unborn baby as well. Rick grabbed Carl and fled the prison and eventually met up with the other survivors.

But this past episode was terrible. From the initial moment, I turned to my wife and said to her, "Are they really trying to create sympathy and empathy for the Governor?" Terrible idea. The Governor was one of the most badass characters created in comics, and the TV show nudered him. Yes I know that the show has differed drastically from the comic, but they could have "reset" the plotlines at the end of last season.

The group should have left, the Governor should have been killed, and they most importantly should NOT have humanized the Governor. My guess, is based upon the coming attractions, is that the Gov will now be fighting to protect the new family, and will "change his ways" and eventually he and Rick will come to an understanding and become friends. Terrible.

A great comic is being wasted on bad TV.

NOW hopefully this will be awesome:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/11/...-a-comic-shop/

Why do you want the predictability of the same exact story? Just like Game of Thrones, as long as the final product is good then I welcome a different take on the source material.

What I wanted was a literal translation of the comic to the small screen. I wanted to see the book I loved made into a live action show. It could have been great, not just mediocre.

Like the link that I posted, AMC will hopefully will do what HBO reportedly wanted to do with Preacher. Preacher was a finite series with 75 individual comics. And what Innis and Dillon wanted was a commitment where each episode was one issue of the comics. So 75 books, 75 episodes where each episode is true to the comic. And with a season being anywhere from 13-26 episodes, that could mean at least a 3-5 year show.

Comic book fans/nerds love the shows and movies made from their favorite books, but also many like me, get really frustrated that the shows and movies do not accurately represent the comics. WHY? That is my main point. I hate it when they change these established characters. I get that not everything in the comics can directly translate to a live action form, but it still can remain true and honest to the source material.

This is also why I hated the Hunger Games movie. They changed so much that the story was ruined. Same with the Harry Potter movies.

I am a huge Batman fan, and I loved Nolan's trilogy, but I still have many reservations about the movies as they changed so much about the characters, their relationships, and the overall themes. Yes they were good, and told the complete story, but they also were NOT Batman.

My buddy called last night's episode the worst hour of television he's seen in some time.

I gotta disagree. I enjoyed the episode. It was something different and un-expected.

It definitely was not the worst episode of TV, nor the worst episode if TWD, but it was not necessary.

THE MONKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by dpowder
    The thing that pisses me off about TWD is how they butcher the characters and create storylines instead of using the already created material.

Last season should have ended with the battle at the prison being violent and bloody and with the governor getting killed, like the comic. And many people will hate me for this, but Judy "little asskicker" should have been killed at this battle. Then the surviving members of the group should have left the prison and moved on.

In the comic the battle at the prison was awesome, and one of the most powerful moments was when the governor shot and killed the very pregnant Lori Grimes and killed the unborn baby as well. Rick grabbed Carl and fled the prison and eventually met up with the other survivors.
    Lori wasn't pregnant, she was holding Judith when she got shot killing them both.

But this past episode was terrible. From the initial moment, I turned to my wife and said to her, "Are they really trying to create sympathy and empathy for the Governor?" Terrible idea. The Governor was one of the most badass characters created in comics, and the TV show nudered him. Yes I know that the show has differed drastically from the comic, but they could have "reset" the plotlines at the end of last season.
    You do realize they "humanized" the Governor and made him a semi sympathetic character by releasing a trilogy of novels based on the comic?.

The group should have left, the Governor should have been killed, and they most importantly should NOT have humanized the Governor. My guess, is based upon the coming attractions, is that the Gov will now be fighting to protect the new family, and will "change his ways" and eventually he and Rick will come to an understanding and become friends. Terrible.
    First off the Governor is crazy, was in the comics and is in the show. He's much more calculated in the show though. His new "family" and the camp that I'm sure he is gonna take over judging by the previews is just a new group for him to manipulate. Once he has their trust I don't think it's gonna be that hard to convince them that a much better place to stay is this prison he knows about. Of course they'll have to fight off the "bad guys" who inhabit it. He'll just have to sell them as being evil. They'll have to launch a full scale attack though if they want to take it down. Sound familiar?

Plus since you brought up the comics I'm assuming you picked up that the name of the lady he's with now just happens to be Lilly. Which also happens to be the name of the lady whom shot and killed Lori and Judith before eventually killing the Governor.

What I wanted was a literal translation of the comic to the small screen. I wanted to see the book I loved made into a live action show. It could have been great, not just mediocre.
    I like the comics but from a story telling point of view a lot of things are very rushed. The show is actually doing a better job of flushing out some of the ideas. At the same time the show following directly to the comic wouldn't give fans of the comic as much of a reason to watch since we'd know absolutely everything that happens.

There were some great little things such as the chess game signifying The Governor and The Prison Groups conflict. As well as him burning the picture of his family, which to me was his way of forgetting what his family looks like. It'll be easier to convince himself that Lilly and Megan are his family that way.

Quote Originally Posted by THE MONKEY View Post
    Lori wasn't pregnant, she was holding Judith when she got shot killing them both.
    I didn't remember accurately...You are right. But it still makes the scene extremely powerful.

You do realize they "humanized" the Governor and made him a semi sympathetic character by releasing a trilogy of novels based on the comic?.
    I knew about the first novel, Rise of the Governor, and I bought it, but I never read it. I do not know why. I didn't know about the other 2. However, if we were just by going by the comics, he was not humanized.

First off the Governor is crazy, was in the comics and is in the show. He's much more calculated in the show though. His new "family" and the camp that I'm sure he is gonna take over judging by the previews is just a new group for him to manipulate. Once he has their trust I don't think it's gonna be that hard to convince them that a much better place to stay is this prison he knows about. Of course they'll have to fight off the "bad guys" who inhabit it. He'll just have to sell them as being evil. They'll have to launch a full scale attack though if they want to take it down. Sound familiar?
    Then they should have had more in Woodbury as was in the comics. Talk about being rushed? The chopper did not go down so soon after they were in the prison. They spent no time at all clearing out the prison. Where was Tyreese getting locked in the gym with 100+ walkers only to fight his way out with the hammer? The last episode where he fought his way out of the car was trying to be that, but it fell short.

Also, they were in the prison for almost a year before they met the gov. There were times of peace in the comics. The show would benefit from that.

Also, what about Rick's hand? Why leave that out?

The torture and rape of Michonne? All of it. You did not have to see it, but it should have/could have been in the series.

Plus since you brought up the comics I'm assuming you picked up that the name of the lady he's with now just happens to be Lilly. Which also happens to be the name of the lady whom shot and killed Lori and Judith before eventually killing the Governor.
    Well then they should have done this a while ago.

I like the comics but from a story telling point of view a lot of things are very rushed. The show is actually doing a better job of flushing out some of the ideas. At the same time the show following directly to the comic wouldn't give fans of the comic as much of a reason to watch since we'd know absolutely everything that happens.
    I said this before, but the show rushed the chopper and the meeting of the gov.

There were some great little things such as the chess game signifying The Governor and The Prison Groups conflict. As well as him burning the picture of his family, which to me was his way of forgetting what his family looks like. It'll be easier to convince himself that Lilly and Megan are his family that way.
    However, I still do not like the way that the gov is being portrayed. He should be more of a psychopath, not a calculating figure.

I know it is my opinion, but that is the way I would have preferred.

To me that might have been the best episode they have ever done. The entire episode up until them hitting the road was cribbed from the Novels. In the novels it takes place before he becomes The Governor.

I haven't been a fan of "Brian" since they introduced him but I loved last nights episode.

Quote Originally Posted by dpowder View Post
    Also, what about Rick's hand? Why leave that out?
    Kirkman had said thats his biggest regret from the comics. Its never gonna happen on the show.
    Last edited by KiLL CoLD; 11-18-2013 at 03:26 PM.

THE MONKEY
    The biggest thing the show has suffered from is 3 showrunners in 4 seasons. You have to remember that when watching, each time a vision is established the slate is wiped clean and somebody else has to come in and attempt to shuffle the pieces to match their vision.

dpowder- As for just one of your points, they've had peace in the prison for several months between seasons. Just wouldn't make for a very good tv drama to have a season about nothing happening.

The Hurra Duff
    I thought last night's episode was easily the best of the season.

Kept waiting for the Governor to off everyone.

Forgot his name, but Gov's former dude that left him and found him at the end seems like a safe choice for zombie munchies.

Garcia is his name.

AnamariaSanborn
    I think yeah..

It doesn't matter what his name is.

reedard
    Painfully boring. As usual.

The Govenor is a big 'ol pussy.

Quote Originally Posted by reedard View Post
    Painfully boring. As usual.
    Then why the fuck are you watching?

Troll.

reedard
    Because I'm invested in it.

I keep hoping something interesting will happen, but nothing does. I haven't read any of the comics. I try to take it as is, and as it is it's pure melodramatic shit.

As it was said, how can someone as ruthless as the Governor turn into such a cunt?

Because he was a cunt before being "The Governor". "The Governor" was like him playing a part. A sick and twisted part that he grew too comfortable playing.

I can see where that would be lost in translation with the show. Hell if all you read was the comics it would go over your head as well.

I think thats why I thought this episode was so good. I have read 2 out of the 3 novels which are out and all the comics he was involved in. So to me the transition made a bit more sense and was kind of his past catching up with him. He lost everything he had. Regardless of how much of a psychopath he is he needs to reflect on some of the things he has done. People don't realize all he did and everything he had was for his "Daughter". Dead or not. Everything he had to live for is gone and he lost an eye along with everything else. So he cant be down? Thats laughable to me. If he would have kept going without any type of change that would a been bullshit.

I dont think they are trying to make him sympathetic. I just think they want you to see he is vulnerable like everyone else. Regardless of how mental he might be.

Honestly, I've read like the first 75 or 100 of the comics. I can't remember; whatever was in the batch CoLd posted years ago, and I loved them. But the show is different, so you're right to take it as it is. In the show, the governor isn't as ruthless as he was in the comics, so I have no problem with what transpired. I think he genuinely cared for Andrea before she betrayed him, so the fact that he's looking for that heartache to go away isn't surprising. I actually think the last two episodes were the best in the entire series; at least since the first season.

THE MONKEY
    Huge smile on my face when I saw the Governor standing on the tank outside of the prison in the preview to next week's episode.

There were some awesome visuals on tonight's episode. Martinez in the walker mosh pit was almost as cool as Pete, the un-drowned one.

Another pretty bad episode in my opinion. We're basically just rehashing last season again, except this time we see The Governor's rise to power. And now they are invading the prison again. I hope Daryl lives.

Anybody wonder why the trailer roof is leaking when it's not raining?

Banned
    I have to admit that I have really enjoyed the last two eps. of Walking Dead. I have enjoyed seeing "Brain's" story. I think it could have easily been a three parter, because the last half and some key story elements went a little too fast. Why would the guy welcome him back knowing what kind of monster he was...how did another camp get taken out without them hearing the gun shots...why did the brother accept the death so quickly? You know all of these things could have been dragged out and better developed, but other than that it was still a great show. I know some people are complaining about this governer being different than the comic book...well I got over it after his season introduction. It was clear that they wanted to paint him differently than the outright villain in the comic. He's more complicated now with a subtle evilness beneath a calm, caring exterior--kind of like a real murder who we foolishly think is normal up until the point he stabs us in the back and strangles us on the floor. I'm looking forward to next weeks show, which I believe will see a few key characters killed. So far, I have to admit to loving this season. I hated the first ep. but from the first to now, its been solid.

Think it's safe to call this the hottest show in pop culture right now? I think my college has unofficially made it their theme show.