Thread: Boxing Discussion

Boxing Discussion

Hi everyone,

I don't know if anyone here is a boxing fan and if they are if they've looked at the upcoming schedule on HBO, but they're almost completely booked until the end of the year. I think there's only one week left that they don't have at least one oustanding bout.

They had the match that everybody in the boxing world is talking about from this past weekend, Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. vs. Brian Vera. It ended in controversial fashion (as so many boxing matches do nowadays) with Chavez, Jr. getting the unanimous decision in a fight that the crowd and the announcers thought he had lost. They're wrong, though. Neither fighter won that fight. They each won five rounds, with no knockdowns, so it should have been ruled a draw. There were three close rounds that could have gone either way, so I can see where one or the other guy could have won the fight, but I don't see where the outcry/controversy is coming from. Only one of the judges had a bad card (He scored the bout 8 to 2 in favor of Chavez, which was clearly impossible.) and the others were entirely plausible. That's how I felt at the time and listening to my favorite boxing analyst--Max Kellerman--say that on the radio was just music to my ears.

Tomorrow night they have the following Triple Header:

Miguel Cotto vs. Delvin Rodriguez--top superwelterweights

Terence Crawford vs. Andrey Klimov--strong lightweights

Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin--World Heavyweight Title Fight

I'm really looking forward to it.

This thread seems to be pretty indicative of the current state of the sport.

Perhaps, but the Alvarado/Provodnikov fight on Saturday night was absolutely awesome. Catch it on the replay if you can.

anonymous
    I think the decision of Mayweather to allow fans to vote on who he fights is a genius marketing move. I'm hoping he ends up fighting Amir Khan though as I'm a massive fan of the guy. I'd like to see Mayweather pushed as well.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Pacquiao vs. Mayweather is now official. The only fight it seems that boxing fans have wanted for the last several years has been signed and will take place on May 2nd.

Anybody dropping a Ben Franklin on this fight tonight or seeing it in a group?

no comment...

I have Floyd in a late round TKO. If Manny wins, it will be within 5.

Yes! Another fella picking Money by TKO. Finally.

I was saying Boo-Urns. lunchbox1981's Avatar
    Although I think Mayweather will win by a unanimous decision I am rooting for Pacquaio.

Everytime there's one of these massive fights with one heavy favorite, the underdog almost always wins. Goes back to the dawn of time; Braddock beat Baer, Max Schmeling beat Joe Louis (then lost the rematch), Ali beat Liston, Frasier beat Ali, Ali beat Foreman, Douglas beat Tyson, Foreman beat Moorer, Holyfield beat Tyson, the list goes on. I think Mayweather will win, but I wouldn't bet a dime on it. This will be close as hell.

Pacquiao isn't nearly the underdog as much as those guys you listed cult although I think he will get worked tonight, woulda been more intriguing fight if Manny didn't get knocked the fuck out a few years ago.

Holyfield was the underdog in that Tyson fight? Holy shit what drugs was Vegas on during the build for that fight? I always thought when Tyson returned he was well past his prime while Holyfield was on top of his game. Are we talking the first fight or the second one?

Holyfield was coming back from retirement and had already been knocked out making the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by American Mikey P View Post
    Holyfield was the underdog in that Tyson fight? Holy shit what drugs was Vegas on during the build for that fight? I always thought when Tyson returned he was well past his prime while Holyfield was on top of his game. Are we talking the first fight or the second one?
    It was the first fight. Like helix said, he was coming out of retirement and was in his mid 30's, which for some reason made people believe he was washed up. Hence he was the underdog for the first fight. I don't know about the second one, although it didn't matter as Tyson went bat shit insane during that fight. I still remember how big a story that was. Last time boxing was really big in my opinion.

It was. My parents pitched in to watch the rematch (Holyfield/Tyson II) and have never bought an event again because of the biting incident.

My neighbor across the street invited me over to watch the fight.

BORING fight.

That fight went exactly the way most thought it would. Floyd's defense is so damn good. Manny's post fight interview was weird and Max Kellerman made it weirder.

I have no idea why people put money down to watch Maywether, he is one of the most boring boxers of all time, not denying the talent but just incredibly boring. And he's a piece of shit. Beadle and Nickols for the win tonight.

Maewether is in talks to fight Oscar De La Hoya...

I have nothing more to add at this time.

http://uproxx.com/sports/2015/06/flo...ptember-fight/

This weekend is a three part dream for fight fans. First of all, we have just had a British boxing bonanza, with Anthony Joshua winning a great fight by knockout. I recommend everyone watch this, pre-fight hype included.

For those of you who only care about American boxing or Heavyweight boxing, then you should care about Anthony Joshua. Reminds people of a young Tyson with his hard-hitting KO style, but he is a nice guy out of the ring so he should continue to be trained well and progress. I hope to see him fight Tyson Fury next year in an all-British world heavyweight championship fight.

Goldberg Rules!
    I'm no boxing bobo, but that Canelo KO...wow.

Goldberg Rules!
    RIP, Champ.

I got to see him in person in Rochester when I was 13 at my future high school. The school is one of a handful of high schools to have a boxing program and each year they hold their big event called the Mission Bouts. That was 1994 I think and he already was barely speaking. The coolest thing about him then is that even when he looked in a withered state, he still could throw some quick jabs and shuffle the feet for a few seconds at a time. I'm surprised he lived as long as he did given the worsening of his condition the past 10 years.

Goldberg Rules!
    Closest I got was seeing his daughter Laila give a talk at my grad school in 2013. She actually was kinda funny, probably got it from him.

Nothing in here about Brook vs Golovkin?

It was a hell of a fight for four rounds but Golovkin just wore him down in that fifth. I think the commentators said Brook's eye might have been fucked up. Every punch Golovkin throws seems to have devastating power behind it.

Broken eye socket, apparently.

Wonder if this is worth another try. Thoughts on Klitschko v Joshua this weekend?

Hopefully Joshua knocks out Tyson Fury next.

Yeah, certainly looks like the fight they'd both be going after. You could pack any stadium in Britain twice over for that one. I'm with you. Fury talks a good game but I'm not fully convinced. Think Fury beat Klitscho on a hugely off-night and Joshua managed to survive him at something approaching his best. Especially given the way Fury's been ever since I'd fully expect Joshua to knock him out in six.

It's official!

Money is knocking McGregor out.

in the seventh round. Gotta give Conor a hope spot or two... maybe even make it close so they can do a rematch lol.

Can't see Money actually winning by KO/TKO as much as I'd like to see it happen.

British newspapers reporting that McGregor was knocked out in sparring.

Wouldn't read too much into that, it's a very common occurrence in fight gyms, more so in MMA. Plenty of time to recover.

Oh yeah, not putting a huge amount on it. Only mentioned it here because in sparring they've got a tendency to go like for like sometimes, and someone had said they weren't sure if Mayweather could knock him out. Just got me thinking that if the stand-in Floyd can, the real Floyd can.

Of course, just because he can, doesn't mean he will.

True. Conor only has movement on his side, mma people can't get a sparring partner that moves like Conor, so Floyd won't. But if he get caught that easily, it does not bode well