Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: General Gaming Discussion

The Brain
    Well sure they knew they'd run into the issue, and they knew people would shell out for the extra card too. Wouldn't be surprised if it nets them extra profit in the end, though it's the kind of dick move that could decrease the customer base long term.

Just recently play through two games:

First, Observer. The follow up game to Layers of Fear, which I liked a lot, instead of being straight horror Observer is heavily cyberpunk, with some influence being drawn from Blade Runner in terms of the overall world while still remaining distinctive (though it does star Rutger Hauer). I was a little mixed on the game itself. You play as a cop who winds up trapped in a sprawling apartment complex during a quarantine lockdown. The game is mostly exploring the building, looking for clues, and interviewing the various tenants. The interviews were pretty interesting and the visual design was good, though the looking for clues aspect was pretty tedious at times. There are two different "scan" modes and the screen warbles annoyingly every time you switch, and you will switch a LOT. There were some interesting side quests, though they often didn't seem to resolve satisfactorily. The main story was more a little convoluted but still held my interest all the way through. There are also levels where you have to hack into the brains of murder victims, which are very surreal and pretty damn cool visually, though they are a little overlong at times and the novelty can wear off if you get stuck at all. In the end I'm not sure if I'd recommend it or not, it was interesting but perhaps a little pretentious at times and at other times probably trying a little too hard. There is a mini-game that is super fun though, I was at times more excited about finding the next level of that as opposed to continuing the story!

Secondly, Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I like this one quite a bit, better than Observer in the end. You wake up in a castle with no memories, and a note apparently written by you instructing you to kill the owner of the castle and assuring you the memory loss was something you chose for yourself, for mysterious reasons. It's somewhat similar to Observer in that a lot of the game is exploring and puzzle solving, and also in that there isn't any real combat and the enemies that exist are avoided rather than fought. It's definitely more of a straight horror game, but not one that blasts you with jump scares or anything. It's very atmospheric and mysterious, and I really enjoyed figuring out the story slowly through various notes and such that you find lying around. Heavily influenced by Lovecraft, which also works for me. The game dipped a bit for me towards the ending as you start discovering some really grisly torture devices, and the game seems to take a weird pleasure in explaining each one to you in extreme detail. That kind of ruined the atmosphere for me, as it seemed like it was suddenly trying way too hard. The final level was also a little disappointing, as you can get multiple endings but it wasn't explained especially well what to do in order to get each one, or why you should want to. Overall I would still recommend it, a very tense yet fun game that delivered for the most part.

Also recently watched my brother play through Infamous 2 for the first time, and it looked just as fun as I remembered it. Great gameplay, good story, just overall a very fun experience.

I thought the days of memory cards were behind us. It definitely is shitty, and as a switch owner makes me think twice about buying games from their shop. I can't believe how expensive SD cards are too. I bought one for a work camera not too long ago.

I'd never heard of Observer, but it looks amazing. I remember seeing Amnesia back in the day but never thought much about it. After watching some videos of the gameplay, I want to try it out. Both of them went on my Steam wish list now - I'll nab one of them after I go through some of my other games, or if it there's a sale on them.

I do like that the top review on Steam for Amnesia is "Waste of money. Bought a game im to afraid to play!".

I don't think MicroSD cards are expensive at all. A quick glance on Amazon in the U.S. shows you can get a good 128 GB MicroSD card (4x the capacity of the Switch's storage) for $45. I remember when I got an 8GB thumbdrive for $60 and thought that was cheap since 1GB drives were close to $40 or so. It's still shitty to have to shell out extra money to be able to play a game, regardless.

I had never bought one before so I figured they'd be like $5 I guess.

Maybe it's all about perspective, since I compare today's prices to the past like I mentioned.

Still, I think prices for SD cards and other flash memory-related hardware is slowly going up in price. Nowadays there's way too many devices that rely on this technology (everything from gaming systems to home appliances to smartphones) causing the demand to skyrocket and leading to the supply to be drastically low. Basic economics comes into play there. They're still cheap compared to before but that may very well change in the upcoming months / years.

The Brain
    Deg, if you like those kinds of games I strongly recommend Layers of Fear as well! That's a great one. I'd recommend Amnesia before Observer but honestly all three are interesting enough to play. Would love to hear your thoughts after you go through any of them.

I'm not really a fan of those types of games specifically. They just look really fun to play, and that's all I look for.

I think the only games I'm not a fan of at all are turn-based tactical / strategy games. I know they can be fun but I don't think I have the patience to get good enough at them.

I’m not a fan of turn-based either. Only one I’ve played for more than an hour (and beat) is South Park Stick Of Truth, which was awesome because it was hilarious. I just beat it and am starting The Fractured But Whole. These games for me seem a good starting point for turn-based and I may give others a shot.

Squared
    Aww, used to play a lot of turn-based strategy stuff. On my own on that one, clearly!

The Brain
    Nah, there's a fair amount of turn based stuff that I'm into. Lots of RPGs go that route, after all.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Just on this I don't really know why they need one, but not being the most hardcore gamer around I never bought a PS4, so the news isn't too bad for me - I know not to buy a PS4 now and just ride the PS3 through to the next generation.
    This was wrong. Weirdly, turns out someone wants to give me a PS4, so the odds are I'll just make do with that one for the foreseeable future. Does mean I'll be able to pick up anything I want to try amongst the preowned shit when the new console drops, I guess.

@lopprimetime

I think the only game I want to play but haven't from recent years is The Last Of Us, which tempts me to pick up a cheap PS4 when and if I can.

The storytelling and emotional connections in Last of Us was unlike any game I every played at the time.

I also vouch for The Last of Us. I played half of the game on the PS3 since it was a loan from a co-worker, and it was a great experience.

For PS4 exclusives, Horizon Zero Dawn looks like an amazing game, one of the few I'm kind of envious of PS4 owners to have. I've also found the Uncharted games to be pretty fun, so those might be good choices too. Another game that I've heard a lot about is Persona 5, so you might want to check that out too.

Non-PS4 exclusives that I've either played on PC that I like or are on my shortlist are Doom, Fallout 4, Nier: Automata and Witcher 3. Rocket League is actually super-fun to play, as well. A lot of these games are pretty time-consuming, though, which you've mentioned being an issue. But in any case, check out some of these, you won't go wrong with any of them (unless you absolutely hate a specific type of game, in that case it wasn't my fault).

Apologies for the double post, which I seem to be doing quite frequently these days.

Just wanted to let any PC gamers know that Steam has their Autumn sale up and running right now, and they have a lot of awesome deals up there. I'm trying really hard not to spend more cash on games since I have plenty waiting for me to play them. I might pick more passive games that I had been keeping my eye on like Stardew Valley.

The Brain
    I missed people talking about Last of Us but I do want agree with the consensus, Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played on multiple levels. That's a damn classic, right there.

Squared
    Anyone played Star Trek: Bridge Crew? Sounds like co-operative take on the old Bridge Commander game, but I was curious to know if anyone has had a crack at it.

@lopprimetime

Started playing Star Wars: KOTOR 2 with the restored content mod on it.

The first one was one is still one of my favourite games of all time and the second was still good but was obviously incomplete and stitched together at the last minute. The Restored Content mod takes a lot of data that was apparently present in the game files but left out of the game and also adds in a few new things as well.

Will be interesting to see how it is going back to a 2003 game that I loved so much at the time. Has been a good 10 years since I last played it.

I can confirm that Horizon Zero Dawn is staggeringly incredible. One of the best video games I've ever played, and way deserving of Game Of The Year. At this point I think it is one of my top 5 games of all-time (yep, it's that good).

Final Fantasy 15 was overall great as well despite the naysing "fans" of the franchise. The ending is pretty much guaranteed to make any living, breathing human tear up- very emotional, particularly thanks to music choice! The game gave us fans of the franchise tons to feed the addiction, with only a handful of gripes or complaints. Overall though it is highly enjoyable. Keep in mind I am a huge Open World RPG buff, pretty much exclusively what I play besides the Esport I'm ranked pro in, so I'm definitely a little biased towards those kinds of games.

I'd say if you are looking for a game those 2 are top choices on the current market. If you dig open world rpgs then all the better.

Mario Kart for Switch is also a blast! A friend bought the switch and after playing Mario Kart I had a difficult time handing the Switch back lol. The VR version looks outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kleckamania View Post
    Final Fantasy 15 was overall great as well despite the naysing "fans" of the franchise. The ending is pretty much guaranteed to make any living, breathing human tear up- very emotional, particularly thanks to music choice! The game gave us fans of the franchise tons to feed the addiction, with only a handful of gripes or complaints. Overall though it is highly enjoyable.
    This is good to hear for me as someone who's been patiently waiting for this game to hit the PC. I've heard a lot of mixed reactions to it, often slanting hard towards the negatives, so I was questioning whether to get it or not. I think I'll enjoy it as I've been digging open world games quite a bit lately, like Witcher 3.

Anyone exicited for the God Of War:4?I have been waiting for the sequel for so long

I've been hearing about that game for years now. Seems like it's finally going to get released this year. I don't have a PS4 so I'll probably never play it, but it definitely looks pretty nice. I have only vague memories of playing the original God of War at a friend's house so I don't know much about it.

The Brain
    I love the original trilogy but I'm a little wary of this one. It's been so long, and it kind of looks like they went a different way with it. That could be good, but it could also be bad, so I'll probably see what people say about it first.

They did. They turned the game into an Open World RPG, and changed up the camera angles. Videos of it look pretty awesome, but it makes me nervous too- even as a huge RPG buff. Any franchise that does a 180 deep into a series should make you a little nervous lol.

Like the next Dynasty Warriors game is also switching to open world rpg, which is a huge change from the first 8 or 9 games in the series. It was a straight button masher up to now. It was always the series I'd go to when I needed a mindless stress reliever. Kinda sad to see it change but interested to see what direction they go in.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/best-v...ro-skater-2-49

I know it’s a little old but it might add some discussion. I’ve only played 6 of them and it was mostly Tony Hawks or GTA...

Played 30. Way too many Tony Hawk games on that list, and the best in my opinion was the lowest rated. But agree mostly with the rest of the list. I dare say due to the MetaCritic parameter, the games are mostly recent (in the last 15 years) instead of the classics back in the 80s/90s.

Despite lists being purely subjective and this one having a set of defined criteria, I have a couple of gripes here:

- Out of all the Final Fantasy games, FF9 is not the one I would put on this list. I love that game a lot, but I'd place FF7 way ahead of it.
    - I'm happy Portal 2 is included, but I'm biased and would have put it a bit higher on the list.
    - I'm surprised at the how many series have multiple spots here. The Zelda games I would understand, and there's arguments to be made for the Grand Theft Auto games too, but why so many Tony Hawk games? They were good games, but are three of them deserving to be in this list?
    - No Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas is kind of a glaring omission, especially with all those Tony Hawk games on the list.

I might have more but again, it's a subjective list.

Squared
    Too contemporary for me - I don't know precisely how many I've played but I'd stake my house and car on it being in single digits.

@lopprimetime

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate View Post
    Despite lists being purely subjective and this one having a set of defined criteria, I have a couple of gripes here:

- Out of all the Final Fantasy games, FF9 is not the one I would put on this list. I love that game a lot, but I'd place FF7 way ahead of it.
    - I'm happy Portal 2 is included, but I'm biased and would have put it a bit higher on the list.
    - I'm surprised at the how many series have multiple spots here. The Zelda games I would understand, and there's arguments to be made for the Grand Theft Auto games too, but why so many Tony Hawk games? They were good games, but are three of them deserving to be in this list?
    - No Fallout 3 or Fallout: New Vegas is kind of a glaring omission, especially with all those Tony Hawk games on the list.

I might have more but again, it's a subjective list.
    Obviously this is down to critics, as the list mentions, but I always thought FFVII was a bit overrated. A great game, no doubt, and am very excited for the remake, but I personally preferred at least two FF games ahead of it (FF4 and FF13). And yes... I know I am in the minority with FF13....

Squared
    I don't know if I prefer it, but I like FF13 just fine.

@lopprimetime

The Brain
    Let's see which of these I've played...

Bioshock Infinite is a strong addition to the list. I go back and forth between which Bioshock game I like the most (I'm a firm believer that Bioshock 2 is very underrated), and Infinite is always jockeying for position for having great visuals, some really strong concepts, and a powerful story. I struggle a little with the ending and the gameplay is not my favorite in the series, but there's so much good stuff in this one. There are still bits that give me a little shiver when I think back on them.

Portal 2 is a wonderful game, and I strongly agree with Deg that it deserves a higher placing. Incredibly innovative and clever game, with a strong story and some all time great voice acting.

Last of Us is another one I would absolutely rank higher, that's one of my favorite games of all time. Strong game play but all time great story and acting. I've rarely been so emotionally invested in a game.

Majora's Mask... I enjoyed the N64 era Link games a lot, but I can't help but feel they are a bit overrated these days. Majora's Mask was definitely a very clever game in terms of concept and execution, but I wouldn't be that keen to replay it, especially as I'd say the gameplay is a bit less fun than Ocarina.

I'll lump Zelda I & II in together, since they're both mentioned as part of a collection. Two of the hardest games I've ever played, that's for sure. The first game was ultimately a very rewarding challenge, and very innovative for the era. I still remember hand drawing my own world map, since the game never bothers giving you one, and how cool that felt. II is probably too hard for it's own good and can be too frustrating at times, but I do think it's a bit underrated in that it has some extremely fun parts, and finally beating it was a hugely triumphant feeling.

I'm a big fan of older GTA games. I never got to finish Vice City as my game disc went missing. But I had a great time tooling around the city and messing with shit. Nothing surpasses GTA3 for me, but that was a very fun follow up.

The Balder's Gate games are an old favorite of mine, and I think they stand the test of time very well. Pretty strong story and a very large open world that you can explore and do basically anything you want, with fun and reasonably easy to grasp gameplay to boot.

Half Life is one of the best games ever, in my eyes, and has been quite underrated here. All the brilliant little cinematic touches they added on top of all time great game play is just damn perfect. I played through this over and over again when I was younger, an absolute classic.

Orange Box is also a beautiful thing, between the brilliant original Portal and then all existing parts of Half Life 2, which was such a great follow up to the original classic.

RE4 is absolutely deserving to be on the list, though I'd drop it below some of the others listed. Some bits of the game are simply annoying (anything with Ashley, for instance), or bizarre (evil midget Napoleon making bad jokes at you?!?), but the game play is fantastic and by and large the overall design is great.

Uncharted is a series I've long liked and occasionally loved, and I'd say the second game is one of their best efforts. It's hard for me to ignore at times that Nathan Drake is essentially a charming murderer who seems to target minorities most of the time, but I can put that aside and enjoy the reasonably strong gameplay and voice acting. Too high on the list for my taste, but I can see it as deserving.

Goldeneye is a massive nostalgic favorite for me. I completed everything that could be done in that game and loved every second of it. Absolute classic.

The original Bioshock is a triumph of visual design and next level great storytelling. I'd probably have it in my personal top 10, or near it at least. The game play is pretty strong too, but it really sells itself on the atmosphere and world that you get to explore.

Half Life 2 I already mentioned but yeah, it's freakin' awesome and I love it. I should replay that sometime...

GTA3!!! Definitely one of my all time favorites. I still know the layout of a lot of the city by heart, and yet you can still discover new stuff even after rolling around for literally hundreds of hours. The story is pretty fun but the best is to simply charge about and cause havoc, and see how long it takes for the fuzz to bring you down. Phenomenal.

Perfect Dark is a very fun follow up to Goldeneye. I never got into it as much because I think they were too ambitious at times, but there's no doubt it's a much larger and more complex game than Goldeneye was capable of being. Wouldn't rank this high for me but I can see why it would to others.

Super Mario Galaxy was super fun, but top 5 seems ridiculous. I could see it in the 40s somewhere. Great game though.

The original Soul Caliber is a game I remember playing in a pizza restaurant lobby when I was a kid. Fascinated me then and I've really enjoyed the series since, less so some of the most recent games but overall super fun games. Again, top 5 seems ludicrous though.

Pah, Ocarina at #1. It's a great game, but I scoff at this placement. The game play is lacking at times, and the story is good but not great. Lots of games have surpassed this in just about every level, I would say.

An interesting list but absolutely missing some must-have games in my eyes, particularly Silent Hill 2 which I think is maybe the greatest achievement in gaming of all time.

My aim on posting it was to stimulate discussion. I’m glad it did.

Agree on GTA 3. But I do also love the newer games.

I assume Pokémon doesn’t qualify.

Agree with a lot of the opinions there; I think Super Mario Galaxy is however deserving of that placing on this particular list. It's actually my pick for the single greatest achievement in gaming.

I'd still have Zelda Ocarina in top 5 though, possibly as I am seeing the list as games of their time and how good it was back when it was released. Would still play it now if given the chance, but would agree it would not be as enjoyable now than back in the 90s.

Again, the list is made from critics score, so games that at the time were deemed as 'game changers', if you pardon the pun, will score higher. I think Ocarina suffers from this in that, if Majoras Mask came at the launch of the N64, that would be more fondly remembered than Ocarina because the first 3D Zelda meant so much at the time in how innovative it was. But that's just my take.

EDIT: not sure if anyone has seen, but there's a couple of threads in other topics where there is an ALBUM COVER and MOVIE POSTER challenge (basically 9 cropped images, need to guess the movie/album). Would there be interest in a videogame version of this? Could get the ball rolling if there's interest.
    Last edited by Gooner; 02-13-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    Obviously this is down to critics, as the list mentions, but I always thought FFVII was a bit overrated. A great game, no doubt, and am very excited for the remake, but I personally preferred at least two FF games ahead of it (FF4 and FF13). And yes... I know I am in the minority with FF13....
    I guess I look at Final Fantasy 7 in the sense of when it originally came out it just blew almost everything I knew about RPGs away with its story, music and visuals. I got the game early on its release (I think within the first two weeks) so I'm sure that shapes my opinion on it.

I do place FF4 and FF6 above FF7, though. FF4 was my first game to play in the series so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

That makes sense as I came to FFVII quite a bit later on, think it was probably around when the PS2 launched and was trying to pick up PS1 games on the cheap. That could have affected my opinion on it, in that I didn't play it in it's time, but a little later on.

Not a FF fan, but FFVII definitely changed the game. First multiple-disc console game I can remember too.

The Brain
    Yeah, you'd think Pokemon would be in here somewhere. I absolutely devoured the original games.

I've only played FF10 so I can't speak too much on that discussion, but I wouldn't have been sad to see it somewhere in the top 50. That's a damn good game.

I think Super Mario Galaxy is however deserving of that placing on this particular list. It's actually my pick for the single greatest achievement in gaming.
    Would like to hear more about this. I did really like the game but that's SUPER high praise.

I'd put every FF game mentioned in and add VIII for good measure but guess that's no surprise to anyone what with the name

Quote Originally Posted by mizfan View Post
    Would like to hear more about this. I did really like the game but that's SUPER high praise.
    Well, obviously everyone has their own opinion, so I dare say mine may not be one that is shared across the board. But I'll try my best.

It redefined a genre of gaming that had long had it's hey day and that, quite frankly, most developers had given up on, platform games. I believe that was down to most of them thinking or believing that there was no room to be original anymore, you create some platforms, create a 'reason' to traverse said platforms, change the skin and away you go. Developers had instead started making RPGs, Shooters, Mystery games, Action games, etc. that had 'platforming elements'. Essentially the genre of platforming, one of the first ever genres in gaming and very much the most popular in the 80s and 90s, had been swallowed up by everything else.

I myself had started playing games for the story around the turn of the millenium. Without going into too much detail, games replaced books for me. If a game didn't keep me invested in the storyline, I very rarely liked it. Some of my favourite games are ones that perhaps aren't good games gameplay-wise (though some definitely are), but games with good stories. Grim Fandango is a great example.

Mario Galaxy changed that. To use a football (soccer) analogy, Nintendo didn't just move the goalposts, they moved the whole stadium.

New power ups, perfect level design, innovative uses of gravity, a challenging game with the correct amount of difficulty, a beauty to look at, the right amount of nostalgia... I didn't play it for the story, or mostly lack of as it is paper thin at best (and been told a thousand times); I played the game because it was just so fucking good.

SMG made platforming enjoyable again. SMG made me realise that games didn't need to look realistic, it didn't need to be adult themed, it didn't need a good story. It needed gameplay. And I'd be hard pressed to find a game with better gameplay than Super Mario Galaxy.

That's the best i can do. SMG2 falls short because it came after, so while it is possibly a better game, it is not in my opinion a better gaming achievement (hopefully that makes sense). A game that does however come ever so close to Super Mario Galaxy in terms of achievements is Portal, for slightly different (but similar at the same time) reasons.
    Last edited by Gooner; 02-14-2018 at 05:57 PM.

The Brain
    Nice, I can't say I agree with all of that but I can appreciate where you're coming from a lot better now. It's definitely a great game!