Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: General Gaming Discussion

Recently bought an Xbox One, and really enjoying both Forza Horizons 2 & Shadow of Mordor before the mass of games get released next month.

I was watching LoL Worlds finals, the match was awesome... despite KNOWING That Samsung White would come out and kick ass. Royal got second AGAIN... 1st time to SKT T1 K and the based Faker... this time... DanDy and Samsung White schooled them.

So I've probably got enough in my budget to pick up one of the driving games in the next few months, but I'm not sure whether to go for Drive Club or The Crew.

Skate 2's so fun. I succeeded in Hall of Meat for the billionth time

Yeah GTA Vice City is one of the best games ever.

Wesley Johnson's apparently the man in NBA 2k15.

at least from what i did

Just got the Saints Row 4 re-elected and Gat out of Hell double pack.

Quite fun so far, but I am not very far in.

A Professional Sort Of
    I'm going to play some Diablo 2 tonight.

I miss running around with my skeleton buddies.

I miss the days of the original Playstation when 10-20 games came out each week. Seems like barely any games are released anymore.

^Those times are like comparing black & white TV to 1080p HD. I am sure you are well aware of cost to create games today. It's one reason why Nintendo has struggled so much with the Wii U in that they had no clue the amount of work that was needed to make games in HD as the Wii was simply SD 480p. Nintendo has gone on a pretty significant hiring spree the last few years to build its game development teams, and the 3DS does very well financially for the company.

I actually beat The Order: 1886 like 10 minutes ago. Now gotta collect a few loose ends to grab a platinum trophy and sell it back. I could give a detailed breakdown on the game, but in summary, best console game visually I have ever played. Very cinematic driven, with some neat twists having Nikolai Tesla be your weapons manufacturer, and story that starts out very interesting, but a "wrinkle" in the story a little over half-way in just didn't jive with me, and I do not think there will be a sequel. Wouldn't say do not play it, but I wouldn't go into the game spending $60 and expect to replay it down the line. Hence, find it cheap or rent it for the visuals.

Next up is finishing off some indy games, then to Bloodborne.

Started Dying Light a couple days ago and I must say the game is amazing. it is everything a next gen game should be, it looks nice, it plays smoothly, mix in a cool environment and a somewhat enticing storyline and I think I have my pick for game of the year.

Been playing The Witcher 3 for the last few days. Good game and fills my Elder Scrolls-type of game void.

Just bought a two month old Xbox One with two controllers, Farcry 4, Advanced Warfare and Arkham Knight for $200. Really wanted a PS4 but this deal was too good to pass up. Still gonna mourn the fact that I won't be playing Uncharted 4. What's some A- list exclusives besides Halo for me to look forward to?

Xbox has the new Tomb Raider a year before PS4 which sucks (I own a PS4). I haven't read if it's good but the reboot a couple years ago was awesome.

Played a good chunk of the first one and loved it. Reviews say Rise is one of the best games of the new generation. Should help fill the Uncharted void.

Farcry Primal can't get here fast enough.

Super pissed I got to wait so long for Tomb Raider 2. Fallout 4 is filling the void for now tho.

I beat the main story of Fallout 4 about a week ago and I can still sit and play for hours and discover stuff. I've just been in discover mode every since. It's a very difficult game, meaning I die a lot. Quicksave has been my best friend.

I'm like a level 24 and have done nothing but build and do Minute Men missions so far. I haven't even been to Diamond City yet. Probably wont until I get to a level 40 or so. I have super ADD when it comes to games like this so I hard save like every 5 minutes if I'm in the wild. I probably hard saved like 80 times all ready.

Got Strong last night before I went to bed. I had a shit load of armor for him all ready so I cant wait to mess with him.

Don't play Fallout but I almost want to just for the Buzz Lightyear armor.

Really hope someone can help me with this...

Got my One on wireless connection but games are taking forty forevers to update. Got an ethernet cable running from my Dish access point to the Hopper. Which end should I plug into the Xbox for a more stable wired connection, and is there anything else I can do to facilitate the process?

I don't think there is much you can do to help, the updates and downloads do take a lot of time. My adivce is to have something to go and do during that time.

Also if you are still looking for good Xbox One games, I recomend Sunset Overdrive, it is pretty fun. If you find a preowned copy for around 15 then it is well worth the money.

Still learning things about my Xbox - like how inconveniently sensitive the power button is. I was just in the middle of a major boss fight with things finally looking my way. I was using the wired controller that flashes all those pretty colors and reached for my drink on a higher shelf when I hear a very distinctive beep. My controller cord had lightly brushed the power and broken my heart simultaneously.

The SNES never had this problem.

To me this seems more impressive than Sean Penn tracking down El Chapo: http://www.vice.com/read/a-blind-man...ource=vicefbus

A blind engineering student from University of Colorado finally beat Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time after five years. He definitely got tips and stuff from online walkthroughs (I use them too if I have to) but he beat it just by using audio signals from the game. Lots of trial and error so he was using an emulator. Very impressive and that must have taken a ton of patience. I'd have broken a lot of controllers.

Just got a new laptop and installing WoW again. It's getting annoying the amount of expansions they bring out. I haven't even completed Wrath of the lich king yet.

The laptop was second hand and only has 2gb of ram which isn't enough for warcraft but dammit I'm installing it anyway. It'll probably run like sludgey goo but I don't care as long as it works.

If you have Playstation Plus then NBA2K16 is free this month for PS4. Usually the free games are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    If you have Playstation Plus then NBA2K16 is free this month for PS4. Usually the free games are terrible.
    Meanwhile on the Xbox, this month we have Super Meat Boy and Xcom Enemy Unkown on the 360.
    On the One there is Goat Simulator and The Crew.
    Also WWE 2K16 is free next weekend.

I have a lot to get through here.

Guess I'll revive this thread after nearly 15 months with a video from the Angry Video Game Nerd reviewing older wrestling games:

I'm glad he spared the original Pro Wrestling game since that game was extensively played in my childhood and don't want anyone tainting my precious memories of that game. I never played a lot of those games but they do seem pretty crappy. I do remember enjoying Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game quite a bit when it came out, and I spent a lot of quarters at the local arcade on it.

Squared
    I played a lot of those games and am filled with rage (not really, but y'know). Wrestlemania sucked, but Wrestlemania Challenge was an improvement, not worse. And the SNES games were all fine. I played Royal Rumble a ridiculous amount, and both that and RAW felt like a major step-up from Super Wrestlemania at the time. I probably preferred them to a lot of the ones that came later, like the needlessly complex Attitude.

Glad that Tecmo World Wrestling on the NES got off scot free though. That was another good one.

The Brain
    I rarely played any wrestling games prior to Smackdown: Just Bring It, which I played religiously at the start of my fandom before graduating to the best wrestling game ever made, Here Comes The Pain, which I still occasionally play to this day. I have a vague memory of playing something earlier at a friend's house, something which featured the stable PMS, which probably makes it easy to figure out which one it was, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

That was before I had any real interest in wrestling and thought Triple H meant Hollywood Hulk Hogan, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime Time View Post
    Wrestlemania sucked, but Wrestlemania Challenge was an improvement, not worse. And the SNES games were all fine.
    AVGN is known for crapping all over anything related to LJN. Most of the times deservedly so since a lot of their NES games were pretty bad. I remember playing the original Wrestlemania game but don't recall playing Wrestlemania Challenge. It did look like an improvement in the video, though. I also played some of the SNES games and I thought they were also fine so I think he was just being harsh based on the publisher.

For as much of a pro wrestling fan I am and all video gaming I did when I was young, I realize I never really played many wrestling games in my life. The only wrestling game I remember owning was the original NES Pro Wrestling. My friends had a lot more wrestling games so I would go over to their houses to play them. I would also occasionally rent wrestling games, but I was always interested in other games instead. Recently I've been curious about getting one of the more recent "2K" games but it's never been a strong interest so I keep putting it off.

Squared
    Yeah it sounded like they were shitting on it for the sake of shitting on it at times. I actually had Wrestlemania the Arcade game and while the graphics were a nice touch, I never enjoyed it as much as some of the other SNES games. I think that at some level it's sort of missing the point of what you wanted in a wrestling game. I mean, Royal Rumble and RAW were basically it back then.

Anyway, the reason I came to post here is that it sounds like the ninth generation of console is nearly upon us, with an X-Box console now available for pre-order and rumours of a PS5 release date sometime in the next 18 months or so.

Why do we need a PS5? News of new consoles always pisses me off because there’s still so much they can do with PS4.

The Brain
    Been playing a game called Cuphead recently. Very difficult but very fun, and beautifully made in terms of the design and art work and such. I recommend it, especially if you've got someone to play it with.

I've stopped being on the console hamster wheel and decided to splurge on building my own gaming PC earlier this year. It was a lot more expensive up front for me, but it will outlive this and probably the next generation of consoles too even if I don't upgrade any components. Nowadays you can probably make a decent gaming PC for just a little bit more than a current-gen console that will last for years too.

It also has its perks like not having to pay for online gaming, some really great indie games, lots of sales on even newer games, emulators and games looking and running a lot better than their console counterparts. And it also serves as my workstation during the day. The only things I miss are some console exclusives or waiting for some of my favorite games to eventually be ported to PC, but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Squared
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    Why do we need a PS5? News of new consoles always pisses me off because there’s still so much they can do with PS4.
    Just on this I don't really know why they need one, but not being the most hardcore gamer around I never bought a PS4, so the news isn't too bad for me - I know not to buy a PS4 now and just ride the PS3 through to the next generation.

But yeah, I'd be pretty fucked off if I was a serious gamer. Seems like a race for the sake of racing. shiny new toy syndrome.
    Last edited by Prime Time; 10-18-2017 at 07:55 AM.

The Brain
    Also just finished a run through Dead Space 2. I enjoyed the first one so decided to finally go back and play the second. As far as survival horror goes it's not exactly top tier, and clearly borrows a lot from a number of sources, most notably Bioshock, Half Life, and Resident Evil 4. Still, if you're a fan of the genre I think you will definitely the game to a certain point. I certainly don't regret playing either one, had a good amount of fun.

I managed to scoop a Super Nintendo Classic the other day at Target and am knee deep in Super Mario World. I had Genesis instead of SNES as a kid so it's nice to be able to play these games (Although some I've played before).

I'm debating getting the new South Park game today.

I got the Japanese version of the NES Classic (Famicom Classic) when it came out and have spent a ton of time playing it. I really enjoyed going through the entirety of the longer games like both Zelda games and Metroid. I unfortunately didn't pre-order the Super Famicom Classic early enough, so by the time I got to do so, the local shops here were only accepting signups to a lottery system for the remaining systems that weren't pre-ordered. I unfortunately didn't win one, so I'm still on the hunt for one. Hopefully they won't be super-limited.

I'd still love the American version of it, since a lot of the games I really want to play through like Secret of Mana and Final Fantasy VI would be in Japanese here. My reading is still pretty slow which takes some of the joy out of playing while my brain has to try to go through translating everything. Also, the Japanese version doesn't have Earthbound or Super Castlevania IV, which were some of my favorite games on the original system.
    Last edited by Degenerate; 10-17-2017 at 11:59 PM.

Squared
    I heard that the LA Noire they made for Switch is actually too big for the console so you have to buy an external SD card to store it all.

That doesn't seem normal to me.

It sucks that people will have to pay extra for a microSD card if they didn't have one before just for these games. But the thing I still don't understand is how in this day and age a gaming system exists with just 32 GB of internal storage capacity. They had to know they were going to run into this issue eventually, especially with games that are released for multiple consoles. It wouldn't make sense for a game developer / publisher to have to spend time optimizing a game's file sizes just for the Switch, which will probably account for a smaller percentage of buys compared to the PS4 and Xbox One.