Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: General Gaming Discussion

StormDragonZ
    I feel like the only person on the entire Internet who has never played a FPS type game except Halo 1, Half-Life 1, Darkwatch & Metroid Prime.

A Professional Sort Of
    Out of those games you listed, I've only played Halo 1. I've also played CS 1.6, CS:S, CS:GO, COD:BO2, COD:MW, BF1, BF2, Goldeneye 007, Turok, Buck Bumble, South Park, Duke Nukem, Doom and Doom 2.

So for the lucky ones who got to spend the weekend playing the P$4, what's your overall rankings, musing, gripes, praises about the system?

We have been txting, so you know how I feel.

Goldberg Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    So for the lucky ones who got to spend the weekend playing the P$4, what's your overall rankings, musing, gripes, praises about the system?
    Lack of quality launch titles from my perspective. I'm generally not a fan of most of the genres with games out for the system. I love sports games though, and NBA 2K14 looks hellaciously slick. Heard the Madden is average, so I'll wait for 2014 for that one.

Small thing I liked is how you can suspend activity on the console when you need to do something else. You no longer have to quit the game completely to do updates. Once you're done, you can simply start again from wherever you paused.

In terms of playing Halo 1 do you count the anniversary edition?

Really not digging the Xbox One controller.

Don't mind the erection. Just found out TellTale is making a Game of Thrones game is all.
    I think it's awesome that the word lisp has an "s" in it.

THE MONKEY
    Quote Originally Posted by KiLL CoLD View Post
    Really not digging the Xbox One controller.
    Yeah I've heard folks with big hands really aren't digging it too much. Especially the way the bumpers are set up.

Thats it. The front bumpers are where the back ones should be.

I have no idea what that means, having not held one, but that sounds hilarious to me.

"Where should we put the back bumpers?"

"In the front."

"But, then, what are we going to do with the front bumpers?"

Um, uh, I guess we'll...move them to the back?"

"Fair enough, I suppose."

Hand placement I mean, man. When I hold the controller it feels like the front bumpers are too up close and that the back bumpers arent back far enough.

The PS4 controller on the other hand is soo comfortable. The controller is always my main reason for picking witch console I get. I have never been too comfortable with the Xbox sticks.

Neither have I. That's actually the first thing I thought when I was deciding between a PS2 and an XBox. I hated the feel of the XBox controller and still do. I only play it when my kids want to play COD or Legos and then it still just feels gross to me. It's almost impossible for me to get lost in a game on an XBox 360 for that reason.

My Twitch feed is up stvmonroe

Something cool happened last night, I had my mic plugged and was playing NBA. I made a horrible shot by accident on my created player yelled fuck and the ref T'd me up. I had no idea that would happened and geeked out a little bit about it. This may not be news to you but it was to me. I knew there was voice control of the PS4 but didn't know it extended to games like that. After some experimentation I now call for a pass by saying it instead of pressing a button. I wonder what other commands work in-game.

My wife asked me about a week and a half ago what I wanted for Christmas. I said, "The stuff I need to upgrade my PS3." After asking me what all I needed, she said, "Just buy it for yourself." Meanwhile, we bought my daughter a 60GB from Ebay as a graduation present, because she wants to play both PS2 and PS3 games. I tried it out for about an hour, then gave it to her a week later. She turned it on and got the Yellow Light of Death. We complained to the seller and he sent us a second one. She had that one for 9 days and got the YLOD again. She didn't want another backward compatible one after that, so we figured out something that would work for both of us on Friday. I picked up the 250GB Black Friday special edition with The Last of Us and Arkham: Origins included and gave her my 120GB that she knows works and already has game saves on and since you can have two systems on Playstation Plus, she can use all my content, also. Now I just need to get my money back from the seller on EBay.

I'm downloading Uncharted 3 from PS Plus, so should I wait for that to download or just go ahead and play The Last of Us first? I'm still finishing a playthrough of the Challenge Mode of Ratchet & Clank: Into the Nexus first, anyway.

Uncharted and Last of Us aren't mutually exclusive so play them in whatever order you want.

As for the controller and feel discussion earlier, I hated the Xbox controller. I mean downright hated the thing. But when I picked up a 360 controller with the keypad inserted I fell in love. I still love the P$ controller, but going from the 360 to P$3 it feels like I'm gonna crush the thing in my grip.

There's really only two controllers that fit the perfect mold, the WaveBird and a N64 controller with the memory card/rumble pack inserted. That thing was the perfect weight and distribution. And man could you swing that thing hard when you'd get pissed at a game.

Quote Originally Posted by FoonZeeS View Post
    Uncharted and Last of Us aren't mutually exclusive so play them in whatever order you want.
    I realize that, but Last of Us is kind of touted as the most awesome thing ever, so I was looking for someone to say something like, "Oh man, you have to play Last of Us!" or something similar.

Smiffy405
    Is it worth buying a PS3 just to play the exclusives? With the PS4 just coming out I am hoping the prices of PS3 will drop a little bit.

All Hail the Gaming God!

This guy has collected over 10,000 video games!

Quote Originally Posted by Smiffy405 View Post
    Is it worth buying a PS3 just to play the exclusives? With the PS4 just coming out I am hoping the prices of PS3 will drop a little bit.
    Yes. The Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted games alone make it worth the buy.

Smiffy405
    Quote Originally Posted by XanMan View Post
    Yes. The Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted games alone make it worth the buy.
    I have now got a PS3 and the games I have got so far are:

The Last Of Us
    Uncharted series
    Gran Turismo 6
    Resistance 1,2 and 3

Are there anymore exclusives that I should get?

Besides the Ratchet & Clank series?

Smiffy405
    Yes, I have added the Ratchet and Clank series to my list.

I thought Enslaved was pretty damned fun, and I think that's a PS3 exclusive.

Smiffy405
    I thought Enslaved was pretty damned fun, and I think that's a PS3 exclusive.
    Thanks, I will put it on my list.

Was that the game with Andy Serkis doing the main voice?

A Professional Sort Of
    I played 'Duck Hunt' for the first time in a very long time last night with the gun attachment for the Nintendo.

Games have definitely come a LONG way since then.

Yep. It sure was. Also, Burnout Paradise is a lot of fun. Not as much fun as Takedown and Revenge, mind, but still quite good and probably extremely cheap nowadays. It's actually the only game I've ever enjoyed playing online, too.

Smiffy405
    Yep. It sure was. Also, Burnout Paradise is a lot of fun. Not as much fun as Takedown and Revenge, mind, but still quite good and probably extremely cheap nowadays. It's actually the only game I've ever enjoyed playing online, too.
    Thanks, my friends keep on telling me to get that agme.

The good thing is with the PS4 coming out and the PS3 being a couple of years old then most of the games are quite cheap now.

Games I bought over the last week or so (most on holiday sale):

360:
    Hitman: Absolution ($10)
    State of Decay ($10)
    Deadlight ($8)
    Wolf Among Us: Episode One (free)

P$3:
    Far Cry 3 + all DLC ($26)
    Dark Souls & DLC ($20 & $15)
    Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse ($8)

I like end of the year deals, unfortunately especially Micro$oft, as games are discounted quite steeply.

You got some good deals there. Right now I'm playing Lego Marvel Superheroes with my daughter and have temporarily abandoned Uncharted 3 in favor of a Christmas present, Dead Island: Riptide. The original Dead Island was one of the funnest games I've ever played even though I'm not much for first-person view games. The sequel picks up exactly where the first left off, and it's still fun, but there are some definite bugs in it. It freezes when loading, even just walking a couple of feet and I literally watched a zombie materialize out of nowhere while my daughter and her boyfriend were watching me play. I was like "One zombie to beam down, Scottie!" I had read previous reviews about people clearing a room and then a zombie getting them from behind, but watching one just pop into existence in front of you is kind of unnerving. Of course, that's the whole point of a horror survival game, I guess. Definitely still a spooky experience.

Smiffy405
    I have just finished playing the new episode for Walking Dead season 2 and it is brilliant. Straight from the start there are massive decisons to make and big suprises that you wouldn't expect. If you played the first series then I would reccommend you get the Series 2.

A Professional Sort Of
    Any idea when Gran Turismo will be coming to PS4?

And can you play PS3 games on PS4?

Goldberg Rules!
    There is no backwards compatibility.

A Professional Sort Of
    That's alright, just a general question as I was thinking of buying a PS4 this weekend...

Goldberg Rules!
    Unless there is a certain game screaming BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME, I'd wait.

I half-regret buying the PS4 on launch, as it has no real stellar titles as of yet (to me anyways). But at least I have the $400 out of the way.

A Professional Sort Of
    True true.

I'll have a look at the titles available for XBOX ONE and PS4 and what will be coming up before I part with the skrillah.

Smiffy405
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. View Post
    Unless there is a certain game screaming BUY ME BUY ME BUY ME, I'd wait.

I half-regret buying the PS4 on launch, as it has no real stellar titles as of yet (to me anyways). But at least I have the $400 out of the way.

Is the PS4 any good?

For the older crowd, anybody remember the game Mad Dog McCree? I used to love playing that game in the arcade at Putt Putt in the early 90s and then it came out for the short-lived 3d0. I didn't buy a 3d0 but I used to ride my bike up to this used tames store and play Mad Dog there a lot.

Anyways, I couldn't remember the name of this game for almost 20 years until a few moments ago. I started thnking about it and just scanned a complete list of games for that system. It was a Western that was integrated with real video. It was a sweet arcade game, had the holster and everything.

DBPanterA
    Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
    For the older crowd, anybody remember the game Mad Dog McCree? I used to love playing that game in the arcade at Putt Putt in the early 90s and then it came out for the short-lived 3d0. I didn't buy a 3d0 but I used to ride my bike up to this used tames store and play Mad Dog there a lot.

Anyways, I couldn't remember the name of this game for almost 20 years until a few moments ago. I started thnking about it and just scanned a complete list of games for that system. It was a Western that was integrated with real video. It was a sweet arcade game, had the holster and everything.
    ^Mad Dog McCree is available on the Nintendo 3DS eShop for $5. I remember it in the arcades, and then about a year ago it was brought to the Nintendo 3DS and the reviews bashed the hell out of it as it is outrageously dated compared to games today (it was pretty revolutionary at the time). I have only owned Nintendo products, and now with more news about he struggles with their home console, Wii U, I may have to enter the market for a non-Nintendo console for the first time ever. The Nintendo handheld, 3DS, is the best console to buy at retail today: Lowest price, biggest selection of games and different genres, simply a wonderful device.